Double Towing

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Rbird

Re: Double Towing

Post by Rbird »

Great idea Matt...

Six hours of romance books. YEPS !!! I would rather have a root cannel.
feeder568
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH triple slide bunkhouse fifth wheel

Post by feeder568 »

I live in California and currently hold a CDL with a doubles-triples endorsement. The maximum allowable length for combinations is 65ft including RV combos. But every state is different so be sure to contact your local DMV. I've wanted to pull doubles but can't because of the length restriction. I did, however, install a wired backup camera on my fifth mainly for parking and maneuvering in campgrounds. But it does quite well on the highway when I want to watch the traffic behind me. I chose the wired system after doing considerable research only to discover wireless systems can be somewhat limited. The signal can significantly degrade if the length between the camera and the monitor is to long.

I handle the disconnect between my F250 and the trailer with a custom built 4 pin connector cable. When I am not using the trailer, I store the connector cable in truck bed tool box. I purchased the system through a company called Voyager. They specialize in backup camera systems for commercial and RV applications. I ran the camera/power cable down through the bunkhouse closet and into the floor. From there, I ran it forward along the frame but underneath the belly panels to the forward generator compartment. I then fished it up through the front bedroom closet and back down in the king pin box and finally to a custom built junction box. I have enclosed some pictures of the connection between the truck and trailer but also the in cab monitor as well.ImageImageImage
Steve & Debbie
2006 Forest River Cardinal 33TBH triple slide bunkhouse fifth wheel
2006 Ford FX4 SWB Lariat midnight blue
275/65/R20, Firestone airbags
CaptainSkidmark

Post by CaptainSkidmark »

As I tow double with my setup, one thing I see everyone forgetting to mention about towing the seconcd trailer is to make sure the front of the second trailer has enough room when turning. The truck and camper might have plenty enough room while turning, but a short square front end utility trailer might gouge the back side of the camper. Yea, I have been there and done that as they say! Boat trailer with thier long V- shape trailers usually wont have this problem. With my Megacab's short bed, my turning radius keeps me from turning too sharp for the tag trailer to hit the camper. Just a thought for those who want to tow double.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The thing that grabs me is the fact that a tag trailer with a swivel wheel is considered a seperate trailer. So to be legal you need a CDL with a triple endorsment.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.