Reece 16K hitch problem

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Reece 16K hitch problem

Post by Big Bird »

I am new to RV'g and have an issue with my Reece 16k hitch. The Receiver connects to the slider by inserting the Receiver into a slot in the slider and pushing a bolt through a hole in the Receiver and the Slider. There is a pin that holds the bolt in place. On the other end of the bolt is a welded on plate with a bend to keep it from turning. My problem is the bolt is trying to turn and this last trip it made a quarter turn. I called Reece and they were gracious in sending me a new bolt and pin and Technical Support says they have had a few calls about the bolt turning. I do not know how important the turning bolt is, but if Reece wanted it turning they would not have made the bend in the plate to keep it from turning. Reece says to make sure the replacement bolt is well lubricated. My question is, will I be OK just lubricating the bolt or do I have other issues to be concerned about?

Big Bird
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
paul7x57mm
Cardinal Owners: 2004 33 CKT
Skype ID: paul7x57

Re: Reece 16K hitch problem

Post by paul7x57mm »

I looked at my 16 k hitch and have a center pin about 1 inch + in diameter. This pin has a flat piece of metal welded on one end and the other end has a small hitch pin with a ring. This pin attaches the upper reciever part of the hitch to the swivel mechanism. My pin rotates also because I can see scratch marks on the paint. I believe that the pin is designed to have some rotational movement because it is the pivot point that allows your reciever head to have the 4 way pivot feature.

I am not sure why they have such a large flange on one end. My thought is that since we have a round pin in a round hole, rotation of the pin cannot pose any problems. The flang and hitch pin on the ends keep the pin from falling out. I would grease it.
Paul and Anita 2004 LX33 CKT, 2006 F-250 PSD 6.0 Supercrew shortbox, Airlift Bags, Drawtite w/slider & Moryde

Nights camping in 2011: 7
Nights camping in 2010: 21