Comments on BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Comments on BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires

Post by The-Bear »

I'm just about to put new tires on the trailer and was all prepared to get Michelin LTX tires. My VIN plate specifies LT 235/85R16/E tires.

My local Discount Tire guy said he'd be happy to sell me 4 new LTXs, but for $57 per tire less, he could sell me BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires instead. Michelin owns BF Goodrich and these Commercial TA tires are made in the U.S.A. -- I saw the stamp on the tire.

I used to run BFG TAs on my Jeep and loved them.

Any comments or warnings on these tires?

P.S. I'll probably have a SmartTire monitoring system (a division of Bendix Systems) installed at the same time. The SmartTire system uses inside-the-tire sensors (the sensor is attached to the center of the rim with a large hose clamp) and they monitor tire pressure and tire temperature. I'm not sure but I might need a wireless repeater so the signals reach the truck's cab. The SmartTire systems are usually installed on 18-Wheelers (and the dealers are all truck service places), but Discount Tire sells and installs them also.

The savings on installing the BFG Commercial TA tires instead of Michelin LTX tires would nearly pay for at least a couple of tire sensors.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: Comments on BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires

Post by Traveler II »

The-Bear wrote:I'm just about to put new tires on the trailer and was all prepared to get Michelin LTX tires. My VIN plate specifies LT 235/85R16/E tires.

My local Discount Tire guy said he'd be happy to sell me 4 new LTXs, but for $57 per tire less, he could sell me BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires instead. Michelin owns BF Goodrich and these Commercial TA tires are made in the U.S.A. -- I saw the stamp on the tire.

I used to run BFG TAs on my Jeep and loved them.

Any comments or warnings on these tires?

P.S. I'll probably have a SmartTire monitoring system (a division of Bendix Systems) installed at the same time. The SmartTire system uses inside-the-tire sensors (the sensor is attached to the center of the rim with a large hose clamp) and they monitor tire pressure and tire temperature. I'm not sure but I might need a wireless repeater so the signals reach the truck's cab. The SmartTire systems are usually installed on 18-Wheelers (and the dealers are all truck service places), but Discount Tire sells and installs them also.

The savings on installing the BFG Commercial TA tires instead of Michelin LTX tires would nearly pay for at least a couple of tire sensors.
We have an 08 and are on our third set of tires. I put the Michelin on last time, just because I didn't want to replace them again. In our case it was checking at the rims that made us replace the last set. Tire pressure and temp have not been a problem for us, just bad checking.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Woody,

I have the Smart-Tire system on all four wheels and the six wheels on the truck, the system works very well but you will need to use two antennas.

I have one hard wire antenna on the camper and another hard wire antenna on the truck, the truck antenna needs to be connected and disconnected with the light cord at the pin box.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
The-Bear

Post by The-Bear »

Olbird wrote:Woody,

I have the Smart-Tire system on all four wheels and the six wheels on the truck, the system works very well but you will need to use two antennas.

I have one hard wire antenna on the camper and another hard wire antenna on the truck, the truck antenna needs to be connected and disconnected with the light cord at the pin box.
Olbird,

Yeah I wondered about that. The tire guy (who really wasn't very knowledgeable even though they sell and install the systems) said he thought the range was around 12 ft. without the antenna repeaters. The SmartTire website shows the installation on 18-Wheelers with an antenna on the trailer and another one on the truck. The tire dealer will talk to SmartTire Monday.

Even though I think this is the "best" system, it's looking more and more expensive -- but still good insurance.

Thanks for the input.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
snoking

Post by snoking »

I have Michelin LTX M&S on my truck and Michelin XPS RIBs on the trailer. I do not think the LTX M&S would be a good trailer tire. They have a soft sidewall to improve ride comfort of a truck, and I have to run more air in them for the same stability as the OEM LTX A&S'. They also really like to pick up rocks and throw them. They are a highly siped tire for traction and cornering, and that is not necessarily a good thing for a trailer.

If you do not want to spend the money for the Ribs, then the Commercial TA is a good second choice.

Chris
Last edited by snoking on Mon May 03, 2010 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Woody,

I love the system, I have had it for about fours years now and never get any false alarms or diconnects or signal loss.
It can get a little costly but just start out with trailer and add the truck later.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

I have had the Goodrich Com. TAs on my fifth wheel with the all season highway tread for the last couple of years and really like them and have had no problems with them. I recommend them highly considering the cost of Michelins.
The-Bear

Post by The-Bear »

Thanks Dave,

That's what I wanted to hear -- since they're half the price of XPS Ribs.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX