5th wheel hitch upgrade

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

surveyman

5th wheel hitch upgrade

Post by surveyman »

We currently have a 16k Huskie, it's the normal "solid" hitch you see everywhere. I am researching any type of hitch that provides for some type of flex, air bag, rubber or combination of the two. I do not want to change out the pin box, prefer to change the hitch. My buddy has a four bag Air Saver and likes it but it's really expensive. I just spoke with Mountain Master and Gerry over there was really nice. Does anyone use a Mountain Master? The air bag system or the rubber system? I know any type of hitch will provide a smother ride than what I have but a value comments from people that use a product.
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Re: 5th wheel hitch upgrade

Post by The-Bear »

Just curious why you don't want to change the pin box -- it's simpler and cheaper -- and gives you more hitch options.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

If the 5er gets upgraded some day the pin box is gone with the 5er and not much of a return on pin box investment. The hitch in the truck I will always have even when the truck is upgraded. Could be the last hitch I would ever have to buy.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

With a Chev 2500, F250, etc. I'd get a 18k hitch. Some call that "overkill", but when I traded the F250 in for a F350 dually I just moved the hitch from one truck to the other, and now it's not "overkill". I'm not looking for a larger trailer, and having a hitch which isn't going to be stressed is a good feeling. Also I've never noticed any chucking with this hitch, it solidly grabs the pin. My gauge for excessive movement is this, if the toilet paper roll stays on the little box where the heat vent enters the toilet, and books left on the table stay there, it's OK. So far the rigs have passed the test. Even on I5 in California. :thumbrt:

Air ride hitches are nice, but many new 5er's are coming with a air ride pin box as standard equipment now, and using both isn't recommended. Something to think about.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I dont believe you nothing stays in place on I 5 in CA :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

"Just a good 'ol boy" and it's the truth, believe me! :D :D ;)
Terry's hasn't even gotten any broken dishes, and quit packing 'em with paper towels before we hit the highway.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:I dont believe you nothing stays in place on I 5 in CA :D
Yep! =))

Rob
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

Not sure about I-5 but we've been on some bad roads with our Bird and with Trail Air, air shocks on the truck, and air suspension on the trailer we hardly get any movement of stuff on the inside. We've not done anything special for pots, pans or dishes. I forgot to put the coffee pot away this winter, drove all day and it was still in the same spot I'd left it.

Next winter we will be out in California and will give I-5 a check. But I-10 down south and I-35 in Minnesota are bad roads.

Of course we can start a trend on who has the worst roads, but I think we already did that one.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Post by Big Bird »

I have not been on every highway, but the I 5 is a disgrace.

Big Bird
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

surveyman wrote:If the 5er gets upgraded some day the pin box is gone with the 5er and not much of a return on pin box investment. The hitch in the truck I will always have even when the truck is upgraded. Could be the last hitch I would ever have to buy.
I felt the same way so I got this.
http://www.airsafehitches.com/25k_fifth_wheel.html
Yes it is more expensive than an pin box upgrade but it WILL be the last hitch I buy. :thumbrt:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

I have become a bore on this topic but check out Star Performance hitches - I have one for a 15K trailer, works best with a standard solid pin box - loaded for full time - two years now - these hitches are the last word in towing a heavy trailer - 6 way movement, 20K rating - no air bags, springs, shocks or anything else to adjust or wear out - new fifth wheel model is simply amazing... www.sphitch.com -if you're interested.
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

My search was short and now it's over. I found a used Easy Rider with a 20,000 lbs Reese fifth wheel for only $600. Had to drive 400 miles to get it but in the end it is one heck of a deal for me. It was grimmy looking from sitting in a barn but I took a chance on it. I pressure washed it, cleaned all the grit off it and now it looks like a million bucks! It fit my existing truck rails besides! This thing is built like a tank and I probably will never need to buy another hitch again. Took it for a test ride and was impressed, looking forward to the longer trip to the campground next weekend.
I'm a happy guy!