Towing License?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

tschmalz

Towing License?

Post by tschmalz »

This survey is for those of us who reside in the Republic of California and must comply with all of these crazy laws.

#1) How many 5th wheel owners are in compliance with the license requirements for towing of an 5th wheel RV that weighs more than 10K? The law states you must complete a written test, at no cost, and then receive an edorsement on your license for towing an RV over 10K. If you don't have this I guess it could be an issue if you were involved in an accident. They could cite you for driving out of license classification and may cause problems with the insurance company.

#2) How many of those who have diesel tow vehicles have had to have them smog checked for registration purposes? This new law went into effect this year (2010). I watched the video from the Bureau of Automotive repairs for the smog technician running the test and a lot of people are going to have problems. It appears if your vehicle has a programmer you are automatically failed. If the vehicle exhaust system has been significantly modified--fail. If it has any dark exhaust smoke which lingers for more than 3 seconds after the engine has been reved to 2000 rpms--fail.
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Re: Towing License?

Post by Don Wilson »

#1 I have not done this and have been towing a 5th wheel for 7 years. I did attend a saftey seminar at Dan Gamels RV a few years ago and at that time the California Highway Patrol officer stated there were no additional requirements to tow a fifth wheel.

#2 I regstered my truck in October 2009 and there were no requirements on smog.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
tschmalz

Post by tschmalz »

I wasn't aware of the license requirement either but if you if you google it you'll find a DMV website stating it. As I said, it probably isn't a problem until you get in an accident or you get stopped by a CHP with a bad attitude. On the smog thing, a friend of mine with a 2006 Dodge just renewed his reg. and had to take the vehicle in for the required smog test. He said they are doing it on the even/odd basis of the year of the vehicle. Mine is 2005 so I'll get banged in 2011. This is just the government looking out for us.
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I have a Class A license with a doubles-combination endorsement because I tow a second trailer behind my bird. Otherwise, i probably would not have the 10,000 GVW endorsement. As far as Diesel smog check, I was dubbed this year for my 2008 F350. My GVW is 11,200 lbs. You are exempt if you are rated 11,800+. The 6 year new vehicle exemption does not apply to diesels. They grabbed all the folks they could by writing the perameters to include the most they could. I paid $60 for the smog test. The test was ridiculous. The techician did not know what he was looking at, or looking for. He revved the engine three times to see if it puffed smoke. It did not, so I passed. No computer software will be at test stations until 2012. So far it is all visual tests with no sniffer testing. $8.50 went to the state for the smog certificate, and $51.50 went to the tech for his 15 minutes of time. I have no modifications or aftermarket equipment, so I do not know how that will effect future tests for those who do. The tech kept asking about "any modifications...?" I get to do it again in two years. My buddy did not have to have his 1996 Ram 250 tested when he relicensed a couple months ago. Not sure how he avoided it.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

First time I'd heard about the licence endorsement. The less I say about the Diesel Smog Check or CA Smog checks period, the better! X( I have to go and check my registration, with the dually I might be heavy enough to avoid the smog. After paying the registration fees this year, I don't feel like donating any more money.

Anyone know what questions are on this "free" test.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

Chief409 wrote:Anyone know what questions are on this "free" test.
I think the first and only question is "Do you have any more money that we haven't gotten from you?" :))
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT
hydehunter
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3640,2011 Dodge 4x4 dually

Post by hydehunter »

I paid 75.00 and it was a joke returned the program to stock all the smog guy did was look under the hood plug a scanner in and let he truck idle nothing else oh made sure it did not need a converter with the 4" exhaust system.
Jim and Karen Higgs
2010 Cardinal 3640
2011 Dodge 3500 4x4 dually
full timing starts 6-1-2012
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Move! Before it cracks off and falls in the sea. Just one man's opinion.
More and more states will follow suit to collect more fees IMO.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
snoking

Post by snoking »

Bruce, maybe you could put a tow strap around el Capitan and give it a little pull to the East if it starts falling in the ocean! Or turn around and put the front bumper to it and lend a helping hand!

Chris
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

Yup…truck was smog checked at last registration, and DH has the special "license" for towing the 5th. Most CA DMV employees don't know a thing about it. Interesting - it shows up as a 'restriction' on his license.
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
honker

Post by honker »

Wow don't you just love Calif.
#1 My hubby has a Class A commercial license that he has to have for his job. So he can drive just about anything.

#2 Yes when we registered the truck the beginning of this year, we had to have it smogged for the first time. We have done no mods to it, it passed just fine. Guess each year will be an adventure with it.
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

#1) I know about this RV test and even downloaded the information for it. But I haven't gotten around to actually taking the test yet. It looks pretty easy and the questions are common sense. But for some newbie who just picked up a heavier 5th wheel for the first time, there is stuff in there they probably don't know -- and should.

#2) My 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax just got smogged last month. As near as I could tell the guy only checked for one thing with the engine running -- black smoke. He just gunned it a couple of times. He never put it on the dyno and ran it under load and I don't believe he put any sensor in the exhaust pipe. The other checks seemed to be visual and electronic. He was looking for engine modifications (such as engine brake) and then unofficial software (chip) modifications. He connected to the truck's computer to read the software versions.

It only took about 10 minutes and I passed without any problems. But I've never made any engine modifications either.

On the other hand, if this test had been done a year ago, I don't think I would have passed the black smoke test. My engine was smoking pretty good when hauling our trailer up into the mountains. After an injector cleaning (at 100,000 mi. and its first) it quit smoking.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Post by mopar25 »

Up here in British Columbia we have had the license endorsement for trailers over 4600 Kg (10,141 lbs) for some time. To obtain it you need to take a written test to get your "learner's License" ($15.00) and then you take a road test within a year which cost you another $50.00 The road test includes a "pre-trip inspection" of both the trailer and the tow vehicle. Like someone mentioned previously, if you are in an accident and your trailer weighs more than the 10,141 lbs, then you may be in breach of your insurance policy.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
Franken
Cardinal Owners: 2004 33TS-LX

Post by Franken »

We here in Ontario Canada as of July 1 2011 are exempt from the 10,000 lb limit as long as the trailer is an RV.
I dropped my A when I became 65. They required any one 65 or older must do a road test and written test each year
to keep the A.
This brings us inline with 41 states and other provinces.
Still get a pollution test on the truck every two years.
2004 33TS-LX with a Trail-air Pin-Box
We pull with a 2001 3500 Chev dully
with a Dura-Max
blynds
Cardinal Owners: 2006 31 RKLE 06 Chevy HD Duramax/Allisson
Camping 2009 68 Days
Camping 2010 72 days
Camping 2011 96 days
Skype ID: barry.lynds

Post by blynds »

Manitoba requires a class 3 licence the same as BC and Ontario . Towing over 10,000 lbs requires a special licence with a written and driving test. Walk around inspection prior too the drivers test. If you fail the walk around you dont even get to do the drivers test . Got my Cardinal in Aug 09 and passed the tests Sept 09. lets not worry about the money and be more concerned about safety aspect.
Days camping 2010 --92
Days Camping 2011--101
Days Camping 2012 -- 38