Towing License?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: Towing License?

Post by Traveler II »

Safety is always important but it would be nice if there were incentives rather than requirements. When we had a motor home we would get a discount on our insurance if we took a driving class. I haven't seen this for a fiver, but I haven't' checked either, best do that.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Re: Towing License?

Post by ski boy »

blynds wrote:Manitoba requires a class 3 licence the same as BC and Ontario . Towing over 10,000 lbs requires a special licence with a written and driving test. Walk around inspection prior too the drivers test. If you fail the walk around you dont even get to do the drivers test . Got my Cardinal in Aug 09 and passed the tests Sept 09. lets not worry about the money and be more concerned about safety aspect.
In fact, Ontario has no equivalent to the BC RV endorsement on a licence. You either have a standard G licence or an A licence which allows the holder to drive ANY commercial vehicle (AZ for air brakes.) Although your Ontario G licence restricts the driver to 10100 lb of towing, the truck driver's licence (class A) testers will not qualify you if you show up with a pick-up truck and RV trailer. The provincial police will not charge you for a licence infraction because of the impossibility of complying with the law. Wayfarer RV insurance company (and others) will not disqualify any claim in Ontario because of a licence issue. Altogether a confusing mess...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch