Rear Stabilizer Extended While Driving

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Cliff

Rear Stabilizer Extended While Driving

Post by Cliff »

I have a 2009 Carinal 30LE with the ALTA dual wireless remote for controlling the awning and the electric stabilizer. While driving through a thunderstorm, the stabilizer deployed. It may have been activated by lightening frying the controller or by water shorting out the switch at the rear of the trailer. I am just past warrantee, but the fault lies somewhere. The unit should not have extended..

Does anyone have a similar experience - I hope not?

Thanks for any info.
Cliff (new member - first post)
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Re: Rear Stabilizer Extended While Driving

Post by Traveler II »

I don't have the stabilizer remote, but do have one for the awning. I have accidentally put the awning out, but lucky we have always been at a campground.

Sorry to hear about this. How much damage did it do?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Cliff you are the second person I have heard this happening to, seems to me that was caused by water also. I will try to find the other thread about it and post the link. After I read about the first one we put shut off switches in mine so I shut the power off to the hydraulic pump (for the slides and front landing gear) awning and rear stabilizers.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Cliff here was the other thread on this Stabilizer extending
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Cliff..........I am not sure your rig has this , or if it will work for you.......But...................Mine has a red switch (push buton) on the Remote box itself, I always turn it off, while traveling . :D

So far it has avoided surprises :shock:
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

I don't think this is the reason for your unauthorized deployment, but it got me to thinking. I'll bet there aren't very many codes in the remotes and receivers for these things -- not like there are for garage door openers or car locks.

I remember back when I was working on SuperBowl XXVIII in Atlanta and we had a fleet of complimentary new Buicks that all looked the same. Many times I'd forget where I parked my car and walk the parking lot pressing the "Open Trunk" button to see which one opened -- thinking that one would be my car. WRONG! Half a dozen trunks popped open each time!

So a really nasty person who has one of these remotes could probably pull alongside your rig (even while it's on the road) and so long as your 12v cut-off switch is ON deploy the stabilizers or awning for you!

YIKES -- that's a scary thought.

I think I'll turn my 12v cut-off switch OFF while towing from now on.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Woody, while I agree there is a Possibility of this happening ...... :-B .....There are TWO safe guards built into the system, to minamize that chance. :-s

I researched this carefully before installing it on my rig. :thumbrt:

#1 ............ There are 6-7 THOUSAND different codes possible.... :shock: .........so, the possibility of two being in close proxcimity of each other(with the same exact code) are slim
AND

#2..........There is a 2 second delay........you notice when you push the button ..it takes 2 seconds for it to activate (but it also takes 2 seconds for it to stop), after you release the button. So, the possibility of some - one on Purpose hitting the 2 second delay Mech, and your EXACT code, while you are moving....(or by accident)................... .slim to none (Really for all practicle purposes) :D

And if the rare combination were to occur , when you drove by someone setting up, it would not even move the Item, because you would not be in range long enough.( if I get out of range AT ALL, it switches to the other direction, when I get back in range(it happpens now and again) 8)

So, there is a safe guard built in to the system. :thumbrt:

The actions described sound like a system malfunction ........... :-B ..............a seperate switch to the powered unit, would stop all posssibilty of that happening. :D
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

bfast54 wrote:Cliff..........I am not sure your rig has this , or if it will work for you.......But...................Mine has a red switch (push buton) on the Remote box itself, I always turn it off, while traveling . :D

So far it has avoided surprises :shock:
Mark that does not shut the power off to the rear stabilizers just to the remote part of it, if you push that button you can still use the rear switch to put the gear down.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Thanks Mike....................I don't have the power rear stabilizer, just old fashion Manual Labor Powered =))

I think it sounds like a shorting issue of some sort. I saw your pics of the shut off power switches in the other stabil post..........nice set up you did. :thumbrt:

Yep, the more toys we have, more chances for issues.......but the toys are fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other day, I had another camper in a state park, comment about my remote control... 8) .
He does not have them on his Heartland entry unit. :(
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL well if the motor on these go im going back to the drill motor method its much faster then sitting and having a couple drinks (pop of coarse) before they reach the ground.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Geez guys, you're on the road and out camping, what's the hurry? :D

Rob
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Cliff,

If your rear stabilizer unit was damaged so bad it needs to be replaced make sure you remove the motor and save it.
The little motor is about $375 to replace.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for the responses, they were helpful. I have an appointment on 7/7 at Beaudry RV in Tucson for the repair. The jacks were destroyed, no other damage that I can see. I contacted Forest River by email. I am out of warranty by 5 months, but I think they need to address this problem. It has happened before.

Cliff