F250 instead of F350

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

jamespatrick4

Post by jamespatrick4 »

I agree with Paul regarding MPG for a dually. I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 dually (auto) and I don't notice any siginifcant differnece between that rig and my 2004.5 Doge 2500. Both are long bed, quad cab, 4x4 so the only real difference is the extra 2 wheels and any upgrade in brakes, etc. from a 2500 to a 3500. I have found that how heavy my foot is on accelorator is what makes the big differnece in MPG.

Re: tire rotating, this is only my second dually and I have yet to rotate the tires. My first was an older Chevy dually and I rotated the tires on that truck and didn't notice any wear or ride issues. As Paul mentioned, according to the owner's manual, I can safely rotate the tires on the current truck.

All things, I would stick with my dually due to the extra payload I get over a SRW truck. I don't use mine as a daily driver so I don't have to worry about parking, etc.

James
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Re: F250 instead of F350

Post by Chief409 »

I did get a F350 CC reg bed dully with the 6.4 diesel. After a couple of trips there are a few things I've noticed:

Plus

1. Lots better MPG with the diesel dully, loaded MPG is the same as the V10 MPG empty.
2. Turbo's - LOVE 'em here in the mountains.
3. Power, and plenty of it (is there a trailer back there?)
4. Headwinds, I used to HATE to see 'em in a weather forecast. Now I don't think much about them.
5. Duallys. I had a rear blowout once while driving a Chev C3500 SRW without a trailer and ended up on the opposite side of the freeway. Definitely an E-Ticket ride! After that I never have felt comfortable about towing with a SRW vehicle. While the F250 is an extremely stable tow vehicle, the F350 dully is more so.

Minus

1. Long wheelbase tow vehicles can be an S.O.B. while backing a trailer into a tight space! I can think of a few RV parks I won't be visiting again. :))

Summary

Bigger Is Better.
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

After full-timing for the past 15 months with a 40ft trailer and a long box, dually, extended cab, one ton truck, I have one pet peeve: campground employees that tell me that there is room for my rig when I call ahead, only to find a bunch of sites that are less than 35 feet long when I arrive. The size and safety of a large vehicle are great but some parks are very challenging to get into (and out of.)
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

I may not have training wheels on my truck but you are right some spots you can hardly get the trailer in let alone keep your truck in the same area.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

Some of the parks that cater to the Class A crowd, with the narrow lanes and tight spacing between the spots ... Then try to get in with a 5er, there just isn't enough space to swing the front of the truck without getting within inches of hitting the Class A across the lane, Even pulling out can be a challenge. And that was using a spotter who knows what they're doing when we had the F250. I've learned to avoid those parks. We don't generally use the club house faculties anyway. So I started looking for County Fairground RV parks in metro areas. It's not too surprising that many have Full Hook Ups with 50 Amp when you see some of the rigs the horse racing crowd and vendors have. And the rates are much lower. We're leaving for one this morning as a matter of fact, Alameda County Fairgrounds in the San Francisco Bay Area. Two nights for the cost of one night at a "RV Resort". :thumbrt:
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.