Tonneau Covers

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Tonneau Covers

Post by Mike Clay »

Just wondering what type of tonneau covers you have and how you like them. I just ordered a Bakflip G2 still waiting for it to get here, anybody running folding hard tonneau covers saw one at the Yellowstone rally but cant remember who had it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Re: Tonneau Covers

Post by Mike Clay »

Guess nobody has a tonneau cover
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Now Mike, some people still have to work during the day. I know, I know, I find it hard to believe too but...

Anyway, I was looking at the web site for the cover and my only concern would be traveling with it up against the rear window. It does have a foam "bumper" that rest against the cab but I could imagine a lot of rubbing with the bed moving independent of the cab.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Mike Clay wrote:Guess nobody has a tonneau cover
Sure just NOT a Bakflip.

I like my soft rollup style. The valcro does let in some water. But not as much than the gap between thetailgate and the bed.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We have the vinyl roll up type, not sure of the manufacture. When it's rolled up against the rear window it does reduce the view for hooking up. It's not completely water tight, but it's not been a problem. I think next time I will do a bit more research and see what else is out there. This is what our dealer carried when we bought the truck from him.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Rob you do not have to fold it up against the rear window when traveling. It has D rings to secure it so you can leave it folded on the bed. Grape Escape has one that stays flat also. :D
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I have a tri-fold. It can be folded and left in place while towing and there is no track left on the truck bed. It can also be folded and removed easily by one person and there is nothing left on the truck. There are no snaps or velcro. The hitch fits under it too. Less than $400. Mine came from Ziebart.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW
surveyman

Post by surveyman »

I also have a soft tri-fold. Didn't think I would like it at first (came with the truck) but I do. I am thinking of modifying it so that the front third behind the cab could be folded back easily. That way it would be easier to get bigger stuff out of that area with the hitch in. The next time I will look at hard tri-folds.
lakejumper

Post by lakejumper »

I have the Retrax roll-up cover and like it a lot. However, if you use a tool box up by your cab, this cover may not work for you. It retracts into a box located in the front part of the truck bed. I like the fact that it can be locked in any open position so you can use it partially closed with the trailer hitched up.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Mike Clay wrote:Rob you do not have to fold it up against the rear window when traveling. It has D rings to secure it so you can leave it folded on the bed. Grape Escape has one that stays flat also. :D
I thought that might be the case. If I'm not mistaken when they talked about the use with a fifth-wheel they mentioned it could be folded up against the back of the cab. They may have been referring to a short bed.

Rob
bigbunkhouse
Cardinal Owners: 2007 362BHS

Post by bigbunkhouse »

I got the Lung Genesis roll up and love it. looked at the hard ones, not whaat I wanted, I wanted the jackrabbit again, I had it on my work truck years ago but I wrecked it and they cost too much.
2007 362bhs Cardinal (The mobile vacation home)
99 f350 4dr dually v-10 Lb 2wd 4.30 locker (Big Dually)
Dogs: Elvis and Priscilla
Me (Matt), Wifey (Jana), (Julia)14 year old daughter and ***SHYANNE*** born 8/12/10
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

They go up against the rear window if you are hauling something that takes up your bed. When stacked and towing it takes a little less room then your jack rabbit does where you keep it closed at while towing. Jack Rabbit is a very good cover but I had so much trouble with the finish and poor customer service I received did not want to go that route again.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Post by Big Bird »

Mike sorry to take so long. As you may recall I have a jack rabbit cover. I really like the way it looks and operates. But you may recall my extended pin box has hit it a couple times. I still use it and like it, but I am very careful with ship turns on grades.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Big Bird
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250

Post by Big Bird »

Let me add that the finish on mine has held up for 18 months. I use a detail spay on it and it keeps it looking good. My experience with customer service has been excellent. The company recently sold and old and new companies have been great.
Big Bird

Marv and Jackie
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Yep it was a great cover but the one I got fell apart once and the finish looked like a zebra lol. Luck of the draw i guess, this bakflip is nice but it has its short comings also, have worked the bugs out and modified it a little so it work great now.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32