Scary Contradiction!

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Scary Contradiction!

Post by ski boy »

Like many RV owners, I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller. I've used it for more than a year without trouble. It was chosen and installed for me by a reputable RV tech who does warranty work for FR. He also installed my brake system. I just found in the manual that this unit is NOT designed for use with electric-hydraulic brake systems. Tekonsha's website and other internet locations state clearly that the Prodigy P2 IS designed for use with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Mine are made by Kodiak. I e-mailed them (Tekonsha) but no reply yet. Anyone happen to know what the -------- is going on!? I'm on the road crossing the continent again in a couple of weeks - just something else to worry about...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Re: Scary Contradiction!

Post by campswithcritters »

I've used the Prodigy with Kodiac & Dexter Disks with more than 50K miles without issues. When Mor-Ryde put the Kodiacs on they even said the Prodigy is the best working controller for those brakes.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
ski boy

Post by ski boy »

Well, I heard back from Tekonsha - Apparently, I have the original Prodigy brake controller - not the P2...The P2 was designed to work with all electric over hydraulic disc brakes and replaced the original in Jan. 2010. The original Prodigy (although it says in the manual that it won't work with EH brakes) does work with Kodiak and Dexter EH disc brakes because those manufacturers engineered them to work. So, anyone with a red LED display on the Prodigy has the original that will work with Kodiak brakes - the blue LED display is the Prodigy P2 - it'll work with any EH brake system...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Good info thank you. :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
The-Bear
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS31RL. a.k.a. Cardinal 29WB LX

Post by The-Bear »

I've got the original Prodigy and it works great with my electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I have the BrakeRite hydraulic system installed in my 2005 rig and it says the Prodigy is OK also.
Woody & Sandy
2005 Americana GS 31RL

a.k.a. Cardinal 29WBLX
ski boy

Post by ski boy »

I'm starting to wonder if there are any electric over hydraulic disc brake systems that don't work with the original Prodigy! Even though Tekonsha didn't design it to work it seems that the major brake manufacturers did engineer their products to be compatable. Either way, that info should be corrected in the manual that was supplied with the Prodigy...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

For what it's worth, more and more manufacturers of many products ......are doing away with litturture , manuals in their product packaging, and going with "on-line" manuals, for that very reason, so they are up to date.

Call me old fashioned , but I still like a HARD COPY manual to look over, have ready . So, I do always look on line, because as you have learned, the latest info, will many times not jive , with the manual. #-o