30TS

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

speckchaser

30TS

Post by speckchaser »

I recently bought a 30ts. I have it placed on the texas coast so we can go back and forth when we want. I have owned several trailers but never anything this large. I had it towed down there, so I have never pulled it. I have a half ton 4/4 chevy pu. I know this is not enough to travel around with if the day comes when I want to. My question is if I needed to pull this trailor about a hundred miles to get away from a hurricane could I do it with my truck? If I decide to buy a bigger truck, what am I going to need? Thanks
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Re: 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Just by what you have said in your post... you could tow it in an emergency. However it will burn the transmission out eventually. X( If you were to buy a larger truck, a 3/4 ton would work. I use a dually to pull mine but I like the added stability of the dual wheels.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

It appears Traveler 11 has the same model, so he could give you more specific answers.

HOWEVER, you would be unwise to spend the money to install the fifth wheel hitch, in your 1/2 ton truck (unless the hitch is already there) simply because that is way too much RV for that truck. If you NEEDED it moved, in an emergency, I would 'Hire It" done.

A proper set up 3/4 ton should be able to handle it..........................But, then again, if in the future you are thinking about "Full timing" it, or extensive travel.......I would MOST Deff. go with a Dually ...................(I Did), the extra stability, and peace of mind are well worth it. :d
PapaJoel55
Cardinal Owners: 30QSBLE

Post by PapaJoel55 »

speakchaser i have the 30 le and i have a 3/4 ton chevy with the duramax and i dont have any problems with it.plenty of power and handles very good and it also sounds like you dont plan on towing it alot.good luck and have fun with that new rig.
Joel
Joel and Toni
2008 30QSBLE
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We used a 3/4 ton diesel to pull our 30TS and it worked great. We also over 4 years put on about 45,000 miles. In your case you are asking about something for emergency use. If you had to, your 1/2 ton would work, but it would be hard on it. A few miles of level travel would be best. Only do it if you really need to. If you need to buy a hitch, I suggest you get one that you could put into the proper size truck when you get it.

By the way that is a nice model, enjoy. Where did you buy it?
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

speakchaser, I don't think pulling with a 1/2 ton would work out for long. A 3/4 ton at least is best. There is lots of new and used ones out there. 'Sides, you'll get the itch to "hook up and go", probably sooner then later! Enjoy your Cardinal! :)

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

IMHO until you can get a new truck I would try to find someone to haul it for you. It would be cheaper than the damage you might incure on your 1/2 ton.

Welcome to the club!!
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Before I spent a summer in Michigan I would have agreed with everyone saying you need at least a 3/4 ton. Now that I have spent a summer up here I will say that yes you can use a 1/2 ton, there are more 30+ foot fivers being towed around up here by weekenders with 150s & 1500s than I have ever seen. If you do decide to use it for emergency tows to avoid hurricanes be sure to get a good brake controller for the truck as you will need every bit of the brakes the trailer has, and consider air bags on the rear suspension to keep weight on the front end by way of keeping the truck level. I do not recommend this, but am seeing it done on a daily basis up here.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

campswithcritters wrote:Before I spent a summer in Michigan I would have agreed with everyone saying you need at least a 3/4 ton. Now that I have spent a summer up here I will say that yes you can use a 1/2 ton, there are more 30+ foot fivers being towed around up here by weekenders with 150s & 1500s than I have ever seen. If you do decide to use it for emergency tows to avoid hurricanes be sure to get a good brake controller for the truck as you will need every bit of the brakes the trailer has, and consider air bags on the rear suspension to keep weight on the front end by way of keeping the truck level. I do not recommend this, but am seeing it done on a daily basis up here.

Bruce.................. Remember you are in "Da-UP" .........................They are known for doing things a "Bit different" than us other people =)) =)) =))
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

If you want to see how a 1/2 ton truck will react without buying a hitch, put 3K lbs in the bed and see how it drives. That would also be without dragging another 10 K behind it. Not something I would do or recomend. Find someone to move it for you. Just because people use a 1/2 ton truck to tow with, does not make it a smart move.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

bfast54 wrote:
campswithcritters wrote:Before I spent a summer in Michigan I would have agreed with everyone saying you need at least a 3/4 ton. Now that I have spent a summer up here I will say that yes you can use a 1/2 ton, there are more 30+ foot fivers being towed around up here by weekenders with 150s & 1500s than I have ever seen. If you do decide to use it for emergency tows to avoid hurricanes be sure to get a good brake controller for the truck as you will need every bit of the brakes the trailer has, and consider air bags on the rear suspension to keep weight on the front end by way of keeping the truck level. I do not recommend this, but am seeing it done on a daily basis up here.

Bruce.................. Remember you are in "Da-UP" .........................They are known for doing things a "Bit different" than us other people =)) =)) =))
Mark, up here they call all of you trolls because you live under the bridge! I found that one hilarious being that it was told by a little old lady running a pasty shop. :joke: I never said they were smart up here in Da-UP doing that kind of towing, but most of them are farm boys and I will say they can backup a trailer better than 60% of the more southern crowd we see.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

OH Yea, I like being a "Troll", at least it's better than being a "Flat-Lander"................. =)) =)) ( For those who don't know, it's what people in the "Plains" are called by some) :d
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

"Flat Landers" would be US, down here in Illinois...... No problem....
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska