Edge Insight CTS

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Edge Insight CTS

Post by Mike Clay »

Well Edge finally came out with the software update for the new Edge insight for the new Chevy trucks. Works very well only problem is you need a windows computer to do the software update but since I still have two of them floating around here no problem. I set it up on the 8 screen function which tells me all I need to know with whats going on plus you can set an audible alarm which you can set the length of time it will chime plus the pid that is over the limit you set will flash red. The I in the center top of the pic stands for insight no power settings available with this unit. You can also see I can now see the urea level in the tank :thumbrt: plus if i wanted to I can see the urea pump pressure and several other items that I dont have set since unlike the old insight you only get a one layer screen. Plus unlike my last insight this one auto dims at night which you can also set for how bright you want it.

Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Torben

Re: Edge Insight CTS

Post by Torben »

Now that is nice :d . It makes me want to go out and buy a new truck :d :d
dieselfreak21
Cardinal Owners: 2003 Cardinal 32 LX

Post by dieselfreak21 »

Torben wrote:Now that is nice :d . It makes me want to go out and buy a new truck :d :d
Last I knew EDGE had something for your year truck. Keep your pee free truck and get the new edge.
TV:2003 Ram 2500 QC/LB 4x4 Cummins Powered 5 SPD Hand Shaker. TV MODS: 60 hp injectors, TST, Dual Disk Clutch, Chrome Stacks, Ride Rite Bags, B&W TOB and Companion and 500 hp.
RV:2003 32' Cardinal 32LX rolling on Eagle alloys and Hankook F19's
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Hey Mike, very nice....But one thing Boss..... :-B .....Are you gonna have time to Look at the road, with all that going on ???? :d :d =))
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

LOL between that my fuel system monitor and my gps ummmmm hope so. :d I have alarms set on all the pids so that is the time I really look at it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper »

I'm considering getting the Edge Insight CTS for my tow vehicle in my signature so that I can primarily read the Check Engine codes and check the balance rates on the injectors. Several times while on vacation, the Check Engine Light came on and the engine threw a code. I took valuable time away from the trip, ended up renting a car to take the truck to the dealer, only to find that it was something minor that could have waited until I got home. My truck also is known for injector problems and I already replaced them under warranty once and now it's past the warranty. Although I've recently added a lift pump and extra fuel filtration, I would like to know if this is a good tool for piece of mind and to save time? Do I have to know a lot about diesels/engines to use it?

Thanks
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

I think its a good tool to have my old insight kept me going when my urea pump went out at the National Rally since i was able to see and clear the codes. Check with Edge to make sure it has the features you want for your year of truck. I checked out the injector balance the other day when I got it.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper »

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations for where to buy it and is it difficult to install?
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Go on Edges site http://www.edgeproducts.com and look at the cts then click on buy from vendor and put it your zip code. In most cases you can save a bunch not going through them. I was able to go up to our local 4x4 shop and get it for about 100.00 less. As far as the installation I had their pod that mounted on the dash but the unit comes with a nice windshield mount. Just make sure you load their software before you install it in your truck and do the update. Run the wire to your obdII port in your truck hide the wire and your done.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

slides
Cardinal Owners: 31 SB

Post by slides »

Didn't you have to put a probe in the exhaust manifold
slides
Trouble Free 6.0 '03 F-250
'09 31SB
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

No I'm reading off the trucks sensors in the exhaust system there are 4 different ones in the 2011
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Olbird told me about this but there is a new update out for the insight CTS. I did not see any changes after installing it as far as the DEF level goes but I have read they are now reading in 1/3 increments and I should be about .3 of a gallon away from that. One thing I did notice the other day is I switched one of my pids to read urea pump pressure. When you start your truck after it has sat all night the pressure will read 0 I think GM leaves the pump off until it can check temps and such and once the engine temp reached 130 the pump came on.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Travelers

Post by Travelers »

I love playing with this system. Keeps me from texting and driving. :d

I'll check online for any updates.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Well since George figured out how you can go from one screen to another without losing all of your info (which is different from my first insight) you can set up your pids that you want to monitor in the 8 screen digital setup with alarms then go over and setup the analog screen with 5 of the 8 you would like to monitor. If one of the 8 pids on the digital side throws an alarm it will switch to that screen to see what is going off.

Digital 8 screen setup
Playing with the background and such on the analog side
Big change from my last insight
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

snoking

Post by snoking »

There is a Droid App http://torque-bhp.com/, that does similar read outs and allows you to read, reset codes and lookup codes. The OBDII blu-tooth adapter is 20 bucks or so on Ebay and the Droid pro app is 4.99. I have the adapter coming and will give a report.

Chris