Do I flip my axels?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Do I flip my axels?

Post by mopar25 »

Does anyone pull an older 5th, (Cardinal 2000 - 27.5 RKS) with a new truck that has high bed rails. We currently have a 2001 2wd Ram Cummins SB and are considering a 2008 Dodge 4x4 to pull the 2000 Cardinal. The 5th sits level at approx 62" from ground to bottom of overhang and the 2001 truck rails are approx. 52" from the ground. Presently I have lots of room but is there a big difference between the 2001 2wd and the 2008 4x4? If the clearance is less than 6" can you flip the Cardinal's axle or install square tubing under the axle to increase its height? On the other hand, someone may be driving a similar combination and there isn't much to worry about. I don't want the nose of the bird to be too far up if all I do is do some adjustment to both hitch's on the truck and 5th. The increase in nose height can put excess wear and tear on the rear tires of the 5th. Any comments? Thanks.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
snoking

Re: Do I flip my axels?

Post by snoking »

I flipped my axles which is about a 5.5 inch raise in ride height, and at the same time lower the jack plates 2 inches for a net increase of 3.5 inches. I have a tall 2001.5 4x4 Dodge truck. The end spring hangers had upper holes, however for the center equalizer they had to drill new holes 2 inches higher. If you only need to go up a small amount and currently have 15" wheels and tires, then if they will fit LT235/85R16 would give you a 1 to 1.5 inch crease in height depending on the radius of your current tires.

In looking back now, we should have installed the cross tubes between the spring hangers at that time, as I do not think the I-beam cracks had started to form yet.

Chris