To Superglide or not?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

To Superglide or not?

Post by watkinsk »

I have a 2004 1 ton Short bed. Currently pulling my 2010 Cardinal 3150RL with a Reese 16K Slider Hitch. I have found a almost new 15K Superglide hitch at a great price. For those who know anything about the Superglide:

1. Am I safe pulling my rig with a 15K hitch (fully loaded rating on the 3150RL is 14,200 lbs)?

2. Does the Superglide sit higher in the than the Reese 16K...that is would it change the level of my rig when pulling?

3. I have a Mor/Ryde king pin. Would there be any problems towing with the Mor/Ryde assuming the Quick Connect plate is utilized?

4. What are the downsides to the Superglide other than another truck cannot tow my rig?

Thanks, Keith
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Re: To Superglide or not?

Post by bop11 »

Hi Keith,

I had a Superglide in a short bed Dodge 2500. I really liked not having to deal with sliding the hitch back when cutting the camper.

2 things I didn't like about it was that, #1. I was always getting grease on my myself from the lubricant that is on the way tubes (the bars that the hitch slides back on) and #2. in order to get unhooked and hooked back up the truck and trailer need to be almost straight. One other thing that always bothered me a little was that if I needed a tow or if something happened that made it necessary for someone else to tow the 5r they would need the capture plate attached to their hitch. Not sure if most towing companies even know what that is.

The up side to the Superglide is that it is a good strong hitch and the latch wraps all the way arounf the pin of your fifth wheel. Another good thing with the hitch I had was that I had the super rails and when the hitch was out of the bed all that was left was the 4 holes that the pins go thru.

Hope this helps. Sorry for all of the rambleing.

Bill
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Keith,
I pulled the same rig with a 2005 F250 4x4 short bed. Never had issues with height or anything else. Yes, its a bit messy on the slide rails like Bill mentioned. Otherwise it wa a great hitch. :thumbrt:
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

One way to avoid the non-towability issue on the trailer is to screw the plate on the 5er rather than welding it to the pinbox. It is then a pain to remove, but doable in an emergency to allow any truck with a hitch to tow it. I used one many years ago and was very happy with it, it was if anything slightly lower than most hitches which may be an issue with later model tall sided beds?
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

campswithcritters wrote:One way to avoid the non-towability issue on the trailer is to screw the plate on the 5er rather than welding it to the pinbox. It is then a pain to remove, but doable in an emergency to allow any truck with a hitch to tow it.
Keith what Bruce said about the welded capture plate was the issue with Tom Allen's fifth wheel at Mt Rushmore. No one had the same hitch and his plate could not be removed so none of us could tow his trailer to the KOA campground. So as suggested by Bruce if you do get it have the capture plate bolted or screwed on

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hijacker sells a 14" automatic slider that does not use an adapter plate on the king pin with the exception of Mor/Ryde and 5th
Airborne pin boxes.

This would allow anyone else to pull your trailer without any modifications and it appears that you could pull any other trailer and still have the slide function on your truck.

http://www.hijacker.com/pages/fifthwhee ... UAS-18.htm

Rob
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

We have the Superglide. The capture plate was riveted to the pin box...on the way to Mt. Rushmore rally, the rivets popped loose and the capture plate came off when we were a few miles from the park. That allowed another member to rescue us. The only fix available to us was to have the plate welded on. We are not real happy with that fix, and hope to get the plate cut off and then get it bolted on. My opinion...no rivets and no welds!
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Thanks guys,

Reading this I am now leaning toward this is a great idea but maybe not executable. I remember the problems at Mt Rushmore and hadn't put 1+1 together!

Keith
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
watkinsk

Post by watkinsk »

Rob, I took a look at the Hijacker slider. It looks very interesting and may be a better answer than the Superglide. The adapter plate for the Mor/ryde is not inexpensive however ($145). Have you used the hitch? If so, where did you buy it?

Keith
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

The capture plates that are used now can be removed in less than 5 min. The plates that are screwd on are almost a thing of the past. I sold only one of those in the last 6 years. We sell alot of these hitches. Now, Pullrite asks you only spray the bars with WD 40. In my opinion, it is the best slider on the market. Now available for use with standard (Reese) rails. They have also come out with a kit to mount in the Ford F series factory mount kit.

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

watkinsk wrote:Rob, I took a look at the Hijacker slider. It looks very interesting and may be a better answer than the Superglide. The adapter plate for the Mor/ryde is not inexpensive however ($145). Have you used the hitch? If so, where did you buy it?
Hi Keith, I have a Hijacker hitch but not a slider as I have an 8' bed. I saw the slider one day while looking through their web site and it looked like an interesting alternative to the Superglide. Having the capture plate on the hitch instead of the king pin looked like a good idea.

Rob
jonandjolene
Cardinal Owners: Blue Ridge 3125RT

Post by jonandjolene »

We have short bed and a slider hitch installed and like it. We also have the capture plate welded to the trailer hitch. If needed, a tow unit could pull the entire unit in for repairs if needed without removing the capture plate on the fifth wheel. Check with your insurance company.................
Jon and Jolene
Both retired
2013 Blue Ridge 3125RT
2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4, 6.7 PSD
Pull Rite Super Glide slider hitch