Tools to take along

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Tools to take along

Post by mopar25 »

We are getting ready to head South in our 2000 28.5 RKS and I have to take along an assortment of tools "just in case". What tools do you take that you think are mandatory and which ones are "nice to take along"? This would include screw drivers, wrenches, fuses, hammer, pliers, tape, testers, knive and so on. I have one of those canvas tool bags but everything is in the bottom together and is a pain to find what you are looking for. I have a smaller metal tool box that I'm thinking of taking but it only holds so much.

What do you take along?

Thanks

08 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4, 2000 28.5 RKS
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
Travelers

Re: Tools to take along

Post by Travelers »

First is a torque wrench for the wheel nuts.
Second is a multi-meter and some wire, soldering gun or pencil / solder.
Third is a drill and bits.
Fourth is a small hacksaw. (I had to remodel my ladder last year in Texas)
Otherwise you've probably listed the most packed seldom used tools. :d
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

For inside I have a small hammer, a combo screwdriver (with 8 interchangeable bits), an assortment of small pliers (needle nose, bent nose, etc.), a good measuring tape, and an assortment of small screws, hollow wall anchors, tacks, and brads. Also have silicone glue, super glue, sticky backed Velcro, clear nail polish, a small flashlight and a flashlight that straps on your head. A 2-step ladder and a 12" step stool. Ron has a similar set of tools plus a multi-meter (or two), battery operated drill/driver with a case of assorted bits, a ladder, and a larger tube of silicone glue. And warning triangles and flares in the truck!

I am sure there are more tools, but those seem to be the things we use most.

And if your wear glasses, don't forget either an eyeglass repair kit, or one of those boxes with all the little screwdrivers!
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
wild acres

Post by wild acres »

Everyone says a drill, get a battery type of drill, go to sears/lowes/hd, wearever, and get the socket bit and socket that fits your slabilizers, makes it a lot easier to raise and lower them with a drill. If I'm going to be gone for awhile, a battery charger, (just in case) and extension cords. Hope this helps. John
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Post by ski boy »

I don't know if he means extension cords or booster cables but...bring booster cables too. If you happen to run your battery down and you can't get your slides in you can use the truck battery to do the trick. Learned the hard way...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

I always carry a at least 2 Ton BOTTLE JACK........NOT ........Bottle of Jack(Been down this road already) =)) .
I carry a full set of sockets, Large breaker bar .Rivet Gun, and rivets, Portable Drill, and Drill bits .

Usual spare Turn , brake light bulbs, Auto/ Trailer fuses.
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

I have a tool box with an removable tray that fits just inside the curb side basement door. Holds common hand tools, including vice grips. A 3/8" 12V drill and charger, drill bits, screwdriver bits and a DVM are inside the 'Bird. In the truck tool box, 1/2" torque wrench, sockets, 1/2" breaker bar, tire pressure gauge, tie down straps, snatch strap, bungee cords, and reflective triangles for breakdowns or a flat along the road. I have a air compressor I store next to the battery and long jumper cables in the front compartment . A 20' folding ladder rides in the truck bed between the hitch and tailgate with bicycle cable locks to keep it there, and an extra propane cylinder between the hitch and the aux tank/tool box that I hold in place with a tie down strap. And a two ton bottle jack.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Post by mopar25 »

Thank you all for your input. A lot of those items I have included in my toolbox but there are a several that I didn't but I will now. Thanks again.

Dennis
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

mopar25 wrote:Thank you all for your input. A lot of those items I have included in my toolbox but there are a several that I didn't but I will now. Thanks again.

Dennis
The bottle of Jack was the best. :thumbrt: