Springtime and before driving checklists

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Springtime and before driving checklists

Post by Chief409 »

On the way home this afternoon I saw a 5th wheel in the opposite lane with something strange on the roof. When it was close enough I saw that the driver had left the "batwing" antenna up, with the wings pointed fore and aft. The mast had folded over, the rear wing had bent, what I saw was the front wing sticking straight up. This makes around 5 RV's I've seen on the road in the last month or so with the "batwing" extended. It was just the first I'd seen with the mast folded over.

We're all pretty rusty after the winter layoff, so now is a good time to get the checklist out, and follow it. A goof might not be as simple as leaving the "batwing" up, something like not checking that the hitch IS locked, tire pressure, wheel lug nuts, the electrical cord properly locked into the plug is either Dangerous or will be expensive.

Have fun, and DRIVE SAFE

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
Travelers

Re: Springtime and before driving checklists

Post by Travelers »

Good idea Jeff.
I went and dug mine out. :thumbrt:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

When I get hooked up the last thing I do is walk around the whole trailer to check lights, compartments are locked and shut, landing gear up, stabilizers up, fridge and hot water compartment locks, hooked up break away cable on, check tires for any bulges or low tires, then I walk away from the trailer and look at the roof to make sure antenna and vents are down. Taking a few minutes to do the walk around can save time and money down the road :thumbrt:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

Yes even when we are using the trailer we need to check the checklist! On the tail end of the 5,600 mile trip last year on the way home from Mt Rushmore
L-) when leaving the campground in Albuquerque NM caught a small tree branch in the antenna because I didn't check the checklist .

No damage done but felt real :oops: :oops: !

Check the checklist!!!!!!!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

Thanks for the reminder. We are headed out on Wednesday.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
snoking

Post by snoking »

I always feel a little tentative when first heading out on a trip. One of the things I do in Arizona before heading home is Jack up each wheel, and wiggle and spin it. That way I tow not worrying about a bearing problem after driving to Arizona and then setting for 5 months. First day out I watch "things" like a hawk before settling in. Chris
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

One of the things I do after the wheels have been off is re-torque the lug nuts after I get the 'Bird home, a trip of 80 miles. Break each one loose, and torque it to the correct ft/lb using the "Star" pattern. Just putting the torque wrench on a lug nut, without breaking it loose first doesn't give you a good torque reading.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

Chief409 wrote:One of the things I do after the wheels have been off is re-torque the lug nuts after I get the 'Bird home, a trip of 80 miles. Break each one loose, and torque it to the correct ft/lb using the "Star" pattern. Just putting the torque wrench on a lug nut, without breaking it loose first doesn't give you a good torque reading.

Jeff
I would think that would be like starting over and you would need to do it again every 100 miles. I know it takes a little extra to get the nut turning but I thought the idea was to tighten up any loose ones. If I reach my torque setting and the nut hasn't turned, I consider it tight enough and OK. What am I missing?
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

I do the same thing you do Earnie. When I checked mine before leaving on our trip I had one lug-nut that needed tightening.

Rob
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

EAW wrote: What am I missing?
Not a thing. Once you break the fastener loose, you will need to retorque after 50 or 100 miles.
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Correct...... Ernie, Rob, John.. :thumbrt: .......When Delivering trailers....I always stop at about 50 miles, torque, then at 100 miles, same thing, then 150 miles.... ;) .., then if I stop for fuel...I pull out the breaker bar, and just check. Had a couple of em loosen up over the years.
Course, Aluminum wheels more so than steel...steel ones tend to get to torque faster, and stay. Some pople look at you funny, but , they have no idea how to be safe...............
I am not going to chance a rig that Does NOT belong to me ..... :-o ...that gets expensive ... @-)

I did see a wheel going down the road by itslf one day..............it wasen't mine................. :YMPRAY: ..a guy pulling a flat bed lost one----- it was strange.....seeing it bounce down the road..... YMWHISTLE
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Hey! I had that happen on a pop-up back in '86, it's not a fun thing to have happen. I was just making my list of things to get done before we leave and check the lug nuts is on that list.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Checked mine when I brought the trailer home after having both rear tires off and had a couple that moved very little in just 32 miles. So yes you do need to check them.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers