Gauges

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

roger5438
Cardinal Owners: 05 30WBLE

Gauges

Post by roger5438 »

From what I've read gauges are recommended for towing. So here comes the questions:
1. How do ISSPRO's compare to DIPRICOL's ?
2. Is a 90deg. swing gauge enough or do you recommend 270deg.?
3. How visable (i.e. easy to read ) are gauges mounted at the top of windshield? Don't want to give up the grab handle for column mount gauges.
4. Do you recommend white face or black face gauges?
5. Have a stock boost gauge is that enough?
6. Also have a stock trans temp, but have read nothing good about them.
Truck is an '06 FORD 6.0psd
tks roger
Roger & Sandy
Anchorage, AK
'05 30WBLE w/TrailAir Pinbox & Centerpoint suspension
'06 Ford PSD 4x4
ONAN 4300 Watt gen in tv
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Roger, I really can't help with all the questions. Gauge face color: I would get the face color that matches the truck's stock gauges. As for mounting check genosgarage.com on my former Dodge they provided me an "A" pillar mount that still had a grab handle and I know he also supplies Ford parts. I spoke with them via phone before my purchase and the guy was very helpful and knowledgable.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Roger, I've heard the same about the stock transmission gauge. I had a transmission temp gauge installed just below the grab-bar. Even when pulling up mountain passes in 112 degs the temp stays well within normal.

IMO everyone that tows with an automatic transmission should have a transmission temp gauge.

When I had my diesel I had the pyro and boost gauges mounted in the center of the dashboard. I think the A pillar is a better location.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Both brands of gauges are fine, myself I like the Isspro gauges. I would pick the face plate color to whatever your oem gauges are now, plus most gauges come with colored socks you can put on the bulbs to match the oem lights. I have a six speed so alls I really care about is the pyro. If I had an auto I would also have the tranny gauge. Now as far as where to mount them I use to have three gauges on an A pillar mount and you could hide a school bus behind it. Genos Garage and other companies now have the above the windshield mount that don't impede your view.

Here is what the three pod a pillar mount looked like on my last truck

This is the pyro on my current truck
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers