2005 Cardinal rear rack/bike rack, motorcycle carrier

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

paule

2005 Cardinal rear rack/bike rack, motorcycle carrier

Post by paule »

Good Evening... first time to this site, have a 2005 30 ts and want to carry a midsized dirt bike. Is there info on what is possible? No bumper/! or visible frame members... how to go?

2007 GMC duramax/allison so no power worries!

Also have questions about how to use my Yamaha 2400es generator in this fifthwheel. Simple cord to the power box...? or is there a better way?

Paul
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Hi Paul. We welded an extra brace to the frame for a receiver to connect our generator set up. If you go to the club photo section there's a link to photos and I have some posted there. Hope that may help some.

Not sure about the set up of your generator, maybe someone slightly more technical (read = I know what one looks like! :D ) can help you there.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Paul and welcome.

I carry a little Honda 1000 an all I do is crank up the generator and plug-in the shore power cable. Seems to work just fine that way.

Rob
paule

Generator/Motorcycle rack

Post by paule »

Thanks for the feedback, I wonder who to ask at Forest River regarding a rear carrier. I guess I'll try customer service. Cautious due to warrantee!

On the generator, I know about using the shore power cord. What I wondered about is using (hard wire) the electrical box in the front compartment where the "optional" generator would have been. I can figure out the exhaust thing... out the bottom and off to the side. But the electrical box has me confused... it contains the wiring for an electric start... and a single line into the coach system. My generator has two ports for output.

Nice to hear from folks "north!" We're in Santa Rosa, but I grew up and still own on Whidbey Island. We go north each summer. This new machine will certainly be a pleasure for that trip.

Anybody want to hear about Sonora Mexico? Too cool!

Thanks for the help.

paul
Pez

Post by Pez »

Paul,

Welcome to the Cardinal Club. Glad to have you with us.

See you are from the Santa Rosa area. Take a look in the Rallie Section and check out the Rallies.

You are only a short drive to the South West Rallie. Sure would like to have you join us. Make your reservation, join us and meet some of your Cardinal friends.

Again Welcome to the Cardinal Club. Also take a look at our Club Flag and info on how to order.

Thanks
Pez
PhilM

Post by PhilM »

Hey Paul,

I was stationed at Whidbey for about 5 years. We go camping every year there and almost always stay at deception pass park.

See ya around.
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Yes possible to do a bike on a rig if your pin weight is high enough to allow the weight on the rear. Here's a pic of my little 650:

Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
kecunni

Re: 2005 Cardinal rear rack/bike rack, motorcycle carrier

Post by kecunni »

Hi, new to the club. Just purchased a 39' Cardinal interested in pulling an additional trailer with a motorclyce on it. couple of questions. 1. What is the towing capacity behind the 5th wheel? 2. Have not purchased a truck yet. Is a 350 a must, over a 250 and do you half to have duallies?

Mark Cunningham
mrcarra5847@mchsi.com

A buddy is picking it up with his 250 this Saturday.
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Mark, I would think a 350 dually at minimum and you may want to consider a 450. The pin weight alone will put the 250 over it's GVW.

Rob
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

I will have to agree with Rob that a 39 footer will very likely put you overweight on any 3/4 ton, a 3/4 ton will pull it but it will be over the rear axle rating. Go for at least a 1 ton. Dual vs single wheel will again come down to the weight of the pin, and dual will give you an advantage in stability. As for tow rating behind the 5er it will depend on the hitch rating on the back of the bird as well as the limit of the pinbox on total weight of both trailers. The above pic of my motorcycle on the carrier is outdated and I now use a swivel wheel trailer for the bike. Here is a link to what I now do sucessfully for quite a while: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2607 And picutures: http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/ ... s/trailer/
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Welcome to the club, They do have two frame I-Beams under the rear of the camper for a trailer hitch to be mounted.
The metal belly cover plate my have it hidden, I do not know it the factory hitch is welded to the frame or bolted.
You can have one custom built at any welding shop design to handle your requirements, I built mine and bolted it to the frame for our bikes and did design it to handle a midsize two wheel motor bike or pull a trailer.

George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW