sliding 5th wheel hitch

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

WILDAA
Cardinal Owners: 2003 CARDINAL 29
Skype ID: WHAT IS A SKYPE ID?

sliding 5th wheel hitch

Post by WILDAA »

I HAVE A SHORT BED TRUCK WITH A REESE SLIDING HITCH. I AM UNABLE TO MAKE THE HITCH SLIDE. I PUT THE ARM IN POSITION AND HOLD THE BRAKE CONTROL SWITCH BUT HITCH WILL NOT SLIDE, TRAILER STILL MOVES. I CAN SLIDE THE HITCH BY HAND WHEN NO TRAILER ATTACHED. MY QUESTION IS, CAN I PULL OUT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE SWITCH THEN TRY TO MAKE THE HITCH SLIDE THEN PUCH BRAKE SWITCH BACK IN SO THAT I CAN BACK THE TRAILER INYO TIGHT PLACES. I HAVE TRIED ADJUSTING MY TRUCK BRAKE AND CLEANED AND LUBRICATED SLIDE WITH DRY SLIDE.
THANX
DAVE
dpalmer
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 3456

Re: sliding 5th wheel hitch

Post by dpalmer »

I have a short bed and sliding Curt hitch. I need to be on flat ground and straight for it to work the best. A quick short jerk with the gas pedal with the trailer brake on gets it moving. Good luck :thumbrt:
Dave & Karen
2018 3456
2021 F350 XLT, 4x4 Dually
Rallies Attended = 22 and 3 F.R.O.G.
Full-time as of 10/1/2016
snoking

Post by snoking »

Maybe your trailer brakes are not functioning correctly? Block the trailer wheels and see if it slides. Chris
Flintstones

Post by Flintstones »

I have a Reese 18K sliding hitch that does not want to slide. I disconnect, slide the hitch back then reconnect. I got it used on Craigs List, it was only a year old and in great condition, but I have to go thru this everytime I need big clearance.
WVcampers
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3250RL Luxury

Post by WVcampers »

I have no problems sliding my Reese hitch as long as I am on pretty level ground. I stop in a level spot before I get home to get it slid back. I have a friend that pulls into a parking lot about a mile before he gets home to slide his. If you are not on level ground try blocking the trailer wheels, take the pressure off of the hitch before putting the hitch in the sliding position. I do keep everything lubed well, but all I use is motor oil.
Randy & Carol
Elbie (weiner dog)
2018 Cardinal 3250 RLX Luxury Edition
2019 Ford F350 6.7PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW