Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby ghpettengill » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 am

As a follow along with the towing a boat thread, I was wondering... After looking through the state towing laws, I notifcied that some states have a 40' max trailer length. Has anyone with an over 40' trailer had any issues?

I also noticed that OR has a 50' max total length, and a 65 foot two vehicle length, this one is a little confusing. Thanks.

Gary
Gary, Holly, Daniel, Steven,
and Penny (Golden Retriever)

2014 3850RL, Merlot Full Paint, Disc Brakes
2008 Chevy 3500 Duramax Crewcab Dually
User avatar
ghpettengill
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: Washington Maple Valley

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby BMullins46 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 am

Strange they would make it a 40' max trailer length since most semi-trailer rigs are now pulling 53' trailers now. I think the 65' max 2 vehicle length is almost universal, which makes it puzzeling at to how the commercial guys can pull doubles and/or tripples.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000 suspension (the Mobile Cabin)
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Meg & Betty
Nights camping
2016-4; 2015- 142; 2014- 108; 2013- 89; 2012- 111; 2011-102;
User avatar
BMullins46
 
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:45 pm
Location: Texas Lubbock

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby sew2bhappy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 pm

I have done some research on this by going to the specific states' statutes/laws. Almost all states have different laws for commercial vehicles (truck, bus, van, etc.) vs personal vehicles (cars, pickups. RVs). So a limit placed on a recreational vehicle would be different than one on a commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles themselves are licensed/tagged differently then personal/recreational vehicles and drivers have different licensing requirements.

Researching laws is something I love to do! I used to have to do a lot of research on laws in California. :-B Before the days of internet, I could spend hours in a law library (and even after internet simply because I loved the look and feel of all those law books open on a large table!). Guess I should have been a lawyer :d
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
...2015/16 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 9
FROG - 4
User avatar
sew2bhappy
 
Posts: 2511
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:07 am
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby Mike Clay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:04 am

ghpettengill wrote:As a follow along with the towing a boat thread, I was wondering... After looking through the state towing laws, I notifcied that some states have a 40' max trailer length. Has anyone with an over 40' trailer had any issues?

I also noticed that OR has a 50' max total length, and a 65 foot two vehicle length, this one is a little confusing. Thanks.

Gary

A lot of things in Oregon are confusing =)) I think the best thing to do is call the state DMV. The laws are all over the place and its hard to determine what is for RV and what is commercial. Some states call it doubles (which is what it is) and others call it triple towing. @-)
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2016 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 30

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
User avatar
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
 
Posts: 12998
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:53 am
Location: Oregon Gresham

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby jrshuman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:36 am

My Trailer is 40'9". Attached to the truck I'm about 64' and 32".... No one has said a word to me about a problem thru Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana so far this year...
jrshuman
 

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby teallen » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:29 am

sew2bhappy wrote:I have done some research on this by going to the specific states' statutes/laws. Almost all states have different laws for commercial vehicles (truck, bus, van, etc.) vs personal vehicles (cars, pickups. RVs). So a limit placed on a recreational vehicle would be different than one on a commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles themselves are licensed/tagged differently then personal/recreational vehicles and drivers have different licensing requirements.

Researching laws is something I love to do! I used to have to do a lot of research on laws in California. :-B Before the days of internet, I could spend hours in a law library (and even after internet simply because I loved the look and feel of all those law books open on a large table!). Guess I should have been a lawyer :d

You are correct Millie. Commercial lengths are different from Recreational trailers
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2008 Ford 250, 6.4 PSD
8 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2017 Camping Days- 66
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
User avatar
teallen
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm
Location: Michigan Battle Creek,

Re: Over 40 ft Trailers and State Laws

Postby Mike Clay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 am

jrshuman wrote:My Trailer is 40'9". Attached to the truck I'm about 64' and 32".... No one has said a word to me about a problem thru Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana so far this year...

Your 10' (feet) longer then mine Im at 56.8 feet. Helps having that extra 22 inches hanging over the pin sitting inside my truck
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2016 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 30

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
User avatar
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
 
Posts: 12998
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:53 am
Location: Oregon Gresham


Return to Towing Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest