Truck Bed Height

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Brinee
Cardinal Owners: 2015 - 3800 FL Hope to pick it up in 2 weeks (11-19-14) can't wait..

2012- F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7

Truck Bed Height

Post by Brinee »

Hi,
I am looking for a little help. I have a Ford F350 Dually 4x4 with 22.5 tires and rims. The top of my truck bed in the back is at 59". I called my dealer where I bought my new Cardinal 3800 and he tells me no problem. However, in reading around several sites I think it might be to all even with all the adjustments.

Can anyone give me some insight as to if this will be an issue or not? We live in Florida and bought the unit up in Pa. I don't want to drive 1200 miles to find out it will not work

Thanks,
Brian
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: Truck Bed Height

Post by Olbird »

I can tell you if your truck is higher then the factory height with after market 22.5 wheels and tires or if you have a lift kit you are going to have a height problem.

The Cardinals already have the axles mounted above the springs for Max trailer height, if you lower the beds 5th wheel hitch you will loose truck bed rail clearance between the truck and trailer.
The trailer can ride a little nose high but not much without over loading the rear trailer axle.
If the new trailer comes with a Trail- Air - air pin box it can not be raised due clearance of the pin belly.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Re: Truck Bed Height

Post by Olbird »

Brian,
I checked some measurements on my 3850RL 2014 trailer, at a level position the bottom of the upper under belly is 64" to the ground, this tells me if you adjust your hitch correct you would have 5" clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of trailer.
Things do change when you put weight on the truck, but I think you will be able to make it work.
My 2011 GMC dully sits at 54.5" with no load, the truck drop down about 2.5" with trailer connected.

Just keep in mind these new trailers are heavy in the front 3,200 to 3,400lbs., I know they have many after market designer wheels and tires on the market and they are great looking. make sure they are rated to carry your pin weight.

Post some pictures when you have it all set up.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW