Tank Heater

This is a forum that you can post things that cause or can cause permanent damage to your RV, i.e. isopropol alcohol will take off the finish in your sink.
Describe the problem in a straight forward manner and PLEASE no replies to the posts!

Moderator: Don Wilson

RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Tank Heater

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

My Cardinal has a tank heater. Tonight the temperature here in Tallahassee where we are camping is supposed to get as low as 25 degrees. So I called the dealer to inquire about the tank heater. According to the dealer, my one tank heater switch covers tank heaters on the fresh water tank as well as the two grey and one black water tanks. I was told to fill the fresh water tank to at least one-third full, and to make sure the other tanks had fluid in them also to prevent the tank heater from damaging the tanks. I was also told to run the furnace instead of the heat pump as the furnace ducts run through the floor and into the compartments. Also, it would be good to turn on the lights in the compartments, as this provides some heat. The final instruction was to open the doors to all the basement cabinents.

I didn't want to put water in the fresh water tank. We are leaving here in about ten days and I will have to winterize and have not ever done winterization on this RV. (Our RV was in the shop this fall and we finally decided to pay them to do it as it was getting late in the season.) We do have an air compressor here and a blow-out hose so I am going to give it a practice run sometime in the coming week. That way I can determine if I can actually do it or will have to take it out to have it winterized on the way home.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
ski boy
Cardinal Owners: Americana GS 38/39 RL3

Re: Tank Heater

Post by ski boy »

According to my dealer, and several other posters on other sites, if you turn on the tank heater without liquid in the tank, it will melt right through. The designers of these tanks, again according to my dealer, did not antcipate that users would empty their water or waste tanks and leave the heater on. Other posters have said (true/untrue?) that any heat damage to an empty tank is not covered under warranty...
2009 Americana GS 38/39
08 Dodge 3500 Dually, Stick, K&N Intake, South Bend clutch kit, Cummins, Quad Cab, 4x4, 20K Star Performance Hitch
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Wayne, if your living in it I wouldn't worry 25*. If it got down to the low teens or single digits that another story. I do agree with using the furnace rather than the heat pump for the reasons you were told.

Rob
RetiredFifthWheeler

I went ahead and filled the tank two-thirds full anyway. Before I turn in I am going to secure the sewer hose in a plastic bag and stick it in a heated compartment. Will also disconnect and drain the water hose.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
Good Sam Life Members
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

If you are already on a full hook-up site you could just leave a little water running in a sink that you can leave the drain valve open on. At 25 degrees you won't have a problem with water freezing in the tanks causing harm especially if it is just an overnight low temp. It is supposed to drop to 28 - 30 tonight and I will let water run in my bathroom sink because I leave that grey tank valve open all the time while we are on a full hook-up. A little water running will keep your supply hose from freezing and the faucet it is hooked to.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

Wayne....sounds like a good Idea. :thumbrt:

If you are at all handy, I believe you can do the winterization yourself. I remove my Low Point plugs (One on hot , one on Cold lines) and drain all the tanks, water heater, etc...(Put low point plugs back on)
Then, put water heater on Bypass...usually at the water heater tank.... and close all faucets, etc...let pressure build up, (with air at city water hookup) open first tap closests to the tank/ fill......, then with only air sputtering, move on, till all is bled ...DO NOT forget your toilet./and shower.( If you have the washer, /dryer, you may need to consult how to winterize that)

Then I always put in Pink stuf, yes even though I blew it out...cheap insurance I think. :d
It is pretty easy, if you do it some where warm....... :))
RetiredFifthWheeler

bfast54 wrote:Wayne....sounds like a good Idea. :thumbrt:

If you are at all handy, I believe you can do the winterization yourself. I remove my Low Point plugs (One on hot , one on Cold lines) and drain all the tanks, water heater, etc...(Put low point plugs back on)
Then, put water heater on Bypass...usually at the water heater tank.... and close all faucets, etc...let pressure build up, (with air at city water hookup) open first tap closests to the tank/ fill......, then with only air sputtering, move on, till all is bled ...DO NOT forget your toilet./and shower.( If you have the washer, /dryer, you may need to consult how to winterize that)

Then I always put in Pink stuf, yes even though I blew it out...cheap insurance I think. :d
It is pretty easy, if you do it some where warm....... :))
I am going to do a practice run sometime this week. I haven't decided about the pink stuff, although I have four gallons available. We do have a washer and dryer stack. I saw a video from another dealer on YouTube that showed the process. You basically set-up the washer with a warm water setting and blow air through it when you turn it on. After you drain that water you put about a half gallon of the pink stuff in the washer and drain that.

On my old class C I just used air. There is a hose to draw the pink stuff in presumably with the water pump. I don't quite get how it reaches the water lines in the back of the coach, lol.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
Good Sam Life Members
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

It will not melt a hole in the tank they have safety temperature switches that shut off the heaters at a certain temperature. It is best to have a little liquid in them to warm tank evenly.
Ultraheat is the brand tank heater FR uses, we do not have pipe heaters only onside stick on tank heaters that operate on 12 volt DC.

Watch the owners manual Video:

http://www.ultraheat.com/tank_heaters.html
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
cherry capital cardinals
Cardinal Owners: 07 34 TS

Post by cherry capital cardinals »

I sorry I did not see this earlier. We live in our cardinal full time and we are in Elberta, AL, were the weather and temperatures are like Tallahasse. For Saturday night and Sunday night we just ran the water in the kitchen, because running water in the bathroom sink makes my have to go the the bathroom, and set the furnace at about 54 and turn the electric blanket to about 6 and we were good to go. That all I have say!
CCC
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

You really only need to disconnect and put away the water hose sewer hose will be fine.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
cherry capital cardinals

Mike Clay wrote:You really only need to disconnect and put away the water hose sewer hose will be fine.
It is flush the the toilet if the hose is connected
CCC
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Huh?
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

bfast54

Post by bfast54 »

cherry capital cardinals wrote:
Mike Clay wrote:You really only need to disconnect and put away the water hose sewer hose will be fine.
Not sure if you are saying you leave your Black tank valve open all the time .You DO NOT want to leave it open always... you only want to open it when you are ready to drain the tank. If you leave it open all the time, you can get the "Dreaded Black Mountain" :shock: .....I assume you know that already though.
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

And nobody likes to go pooh diving :ymsick:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

cherry capital cardinals

bfast54 wrote:
cherry capital cardinals wrote:
Not sure if you are saying you leave your Black tank valve open all the time .You DO NOT want to leave it open always... you only want to open it when you are ready to drain the tank. If you leave it open all the time, you can get the "Dreaded Black Mountain" :shock: .....I assume you know that already though.
Easier
CCC