Dometic Americana Refrigerator Recall

This is a forum that you can post things that cause or can cause permanent damage to your RV, i.e. isopropol alcohol will take off the finish in your sink.
Describe the problem in a straight forward manner and PLEASE no replies to the posts!

Moderator: Don Wilson

The sailor

Dometic Americana Refrigerator Recall

Post by The sailor »

:-B Because of the age of our unit I needed to replace the fridge roof cap that had a little sun damage, I call Dometic to obtain a vendor that may have one in my area. That is when I found out about the recall to the boiler tube and of course my unit needed this fix which can be done at Camping World. If you think your unit is included in this recall, here is the information. Call Dometic at 800-544-4881 , you will need the model number, the serial number & camper vin number.
I hope this is help for some of you guys, Jim :AR!
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Re: Dometic Americana Refrigerator Recall

Post by Mike Clay »

Thanks Jim here is some more info on the site when this came out a few years ago. recall
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

Thanks for sharing the information Jim. I've already had the safety items added to mine but I can't call it a fix. It's good when safety items are refreshed and brought to our attention because there could be more newer members of the club that have not heard of them yet.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

The sailor wrote::-B Because of the age of our unit I needed to replace the fridge roof cap that had a little sun damage...
Jim, my plastic refrig roof vent cover was ripped off by a low hanging branch while we were on a trip. I looked up the nearest RV parts store in the area, and bought a metal replacement. Sizes are standard. No more UV damage, and it took a good hit when a willow tree branch caught on the front of the awning going thru another RV park a year later, so now it has a dent. That's all.

That's the second plastic vent cover I replaced with a metal one, the first was the bed room vent from UV damage. The vent in the head, with a fan, and the Fantastic vent are holding up well, as is the skylight over the shower.

Jeff
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
The sailor

Post by The sailor »

Jeff, thanks for the info, as of now we are waiting for a replacement plastic one delivered this PM, will keep the metal one in mine , maybe for next time. thanks again Jim
Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

Post by Secondhand Mike »

We were reading some of the past post and came across the Dometic refrigerator recall. Well guess what; we checked the numbers and ours is on the list and even after ten years it was never repaired. Called Dometic and they confirmed it had not been repaired and instructed us to turn it off immediately. Well it's been running non stop for 13 months since we bought it and being full-timers that is easier said than done. We contacted the dealer we bought it from and have an appointment for the repair on the 24 TH. Very nervous now but hoping it will hold out another 3 weeks.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

I think they may have scared you unnecessarily. Yes there could be an issue. But we ran ours for a couple years after recall with no problem.
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
Secondhand Mike
Cardinal Owners: 2004 Cardinal 29XL

Post by Secondhand Mike »

sew2bhappy wrote:I think they may have scared you unnecessarily. Yes there could be an issue. But we ran ours for a couple years after recall with no problem.
We could have gotten it fixed in about a week but we were heading through the area our dealer is on the 24Th, so we chose to have it done at that time. They said it would only take 30 to 45 minutes to make the repair.
Mike and Cherryl Clem
2004 Cardinal 29WBLX
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Long Bed 3500
6.7 Cummins Turbo 4x4 Dually

Rallies Attended - 4
FROG Rallies - 3