Electrical Help Needed!

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Electrical Help Needed!

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Ok, I need some electrical help. Out of the clear blue sky the 120v receptacle on the road side along with the 2 lights. Then the receptacles in the kitchen and the frig all went dead. Doing some testing I have found that by putting a volt meter on the hot and the ground (not the common) I get 120v. I looked at the wiring diagrams posted on this site and it refers to a junction box that is attached to the frame. Can someone give me a clue where? I am trying not to remove all the pans. :x
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Wayne ........need more information.....were/are you hooked up to shore power or generator when you lost power??..........did I read correctly that this was a progressive loss of power to these recepticals and frig.??
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Is it possible to use a 30 amp reducer and try power from a different source? I had this happen in Oklahoma once and it was the parks 50 amp problem. Maybe a different site if no 30 in the same box.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers

We're hooked up to shore power. Really didn't notice a progressive loss just not there. The receptacles in the front half of the trailer work fine. I replaced the GFI outlet and the breaker. No change. Pulled ALL the receptacles, they look fine. Disconnected them no change. Disconnected the frig- no change. Disconnected the light fixtures- No change. The only plugs that do work in the rear half are the two on the back wall. All others read that they have a faulty common.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
Future Fulltimers

campswithcritters wrote:Is it possible to use a 30 amp reducer and try power from a different source? I had this happen in Oklahoma once and it was the parks 50 amp problem. Maybe a different site if no 30 in the same box.
I'll try that tomorrow. But the A/C is working and the surge protector hasn't indicated anything wrong.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Just guessing at location of the junction box, seems they would put it near either the shore power inlet or the breaker box/converter area. Kinda of a dice game. Sorry can't think of anything else.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
Future Fulltimers

campswithcritters wrote:Just guessing at location of the junction box, seems they would put it near either the shore power inlet or the breaker box/converter area. Kinda of a dice game. Sorry can't think of anything else.
Hey thanks for trying. I was thinking the same thing but I was hoping someone knew for sure. When I find it I'll post my findings. Maybe save someone some :evil:
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Although I'm by no means an electrician it does sound like a loose wire at a junction box........let us know what you found....good luck...........what a pain...especially in a new 5er!!
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Does the microwave work? If you have two air conditioners are they both working?

Rob
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Have you tried cycling the 50a mains?

Rob
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

We had a problem a couple of months ago - a/c and micro would work, but not fridge or receptacles. Turned out it was the 50 amp at the park - 30 amp worked just fine. Fingers crossed that is the case for you. :?
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Hello Wayne,

I have found in my unit that the juction boxes are located above the floor and not under in the frame area.

Look behind cabinet walls for a false wall or in a corner.

You said you have 120 volts between ground and hot, without getting too deep here ground (bare copper)and common ( white) are the same. However they are two different wires running to each of your outlets, if you do not have 110 volts at the outlets between the hot and common that means that the common line (white) wire came loose. Most likely it came loose inside the outlets because of the way wires connect to the outlets. I have a picture posted on the site of the inside of a outlet, the wires push onto clips inside the outlet box. From the 110 volt breaker panel power goes to a outlet and the connection is push onto the outlet lugs and then goes to the next outlet, they put many outlets on the same breaker. Many times they splice and use the outlet boxes as a juction box and push two wires onto the outlet lugs, this may be the spot the common wire came loose going to the next outlet. So start checking at each outlet and try to find a outlet working on the same breaker this may be the point of a bad connection to the next outlet box.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snuffy

Post by snuffy »

I had basically the same problem once. Like George said, the receptacles are all daisy-chained. All of them in the chain will have two blacks and two whites except the last one in the chain. Probably one pair has slipped out the receptacle. I'd start at the receptacle closest to the converter.
yogi154

Post by yogi154 »

Just mt 2 Cents
re set all breahers start checking at the outlets that work . Every circuit should have a seperate neutral (white wire) you might check with one circuit on at a time .The frig is a seperate circuit and the water heater.
I would plug the trailer into a GFCI cord to do your testing it could save your Life. I've been hit by a lot of neutrals. Check the white wires at the panel may be loose
Good luck Wayne
Future Fulltimers

Rob & Cathy wrote:Does the microwave work? If you have two air conditioners are they both working?

Rob
Yes
Rob & Cathy wrote:Have you tried cycling the 50a mains?

Rob
Yes
I have pulled all of the outlets, disconnected them and found the same thing (open common). The only plugs that work in the rear half is the two at the very rear. I have pulled most of the pans under the trailer. So far nothing. I am almost to the rear of the trailer. I'll keep you posted.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
AirSafe 25k hitch