Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

snoking

Re: Tranny Problems - truck is Home from the Hospital!

Post by snoking »

Rob & Cathy wrote:I'm sure he'll treat you right Chris.

Rob
New Transfer Case output shaft seal! No charge! Dry after the 60 mile run home with a stop in Mount Vernon. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

:thumbrt:

Rob
snoking

Post by snoking »

Changed the oil in the old girl this morning when I got home. Next is to adjust the valves and wash, buff out scratches, polish the diamond plate, and give her a wax job. Probably time for anti-freeze, differential lube on both ends and new brake fluid! Try to fix the heated mirrors without purchasing the 175 dollar AC/Heat/Mirror control module!

Got make the top side look as good as the bottom side.

Treat her right and maybe she will treat us right for another 10 years!!!!

Chris
snoking

Post by snoking »

Well I got off my duff this morning and finished pressure washing the water side deck. This afternoon I put fresh 75W-140 in the rear diff and then 75W-90 in the front diff. Rear looked kind of dark, however the front look really clean. Used synthetic in both ends. Tomorrow may be antifreeze day or valve adjustment or maybe both!

:x :x :x

Chris

On edit (Wednesday):

I did the valve adjustment this morning. All were about .003-4 loose. Bought the antifreeze and am getting ready to do that next!
snoking

Post by snoking »

We went to the Ocean with the trailer for 4 days, first big pull with the new tranny. Stopped at the tranny shop on the way home and took Mike for a ride and showed him that the torque converter was really loose when not in the lock up mode. They are going to pull the torque converter on Wednesday and send it out to be check and install a much lower stall speed stator. Engine revs to over 2200 RPMs to get the trailer moving. More if you push is hard like on an on ramp to the freeway. Which builds HEAT!!

Chris
BMullins46
Cardinal Owners: 06 Cardinal 31RKT; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 Ford F350 DRW, Lariat 6.7 Diesel.

Post by BMullins46 »

Chris, I feel your pain. How much more you going to do before Mama gets mad and says "buy a new one"?
Chasing those grimlins sure gets frustrating.
Bill & Debbie
06 31RKT, MorRyde LRE/4000; 2016 XLR 385AMP
2012 F350 DRW 4X2 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, TransferFlow aux fuel tank
Fur babies, Betty and Cocoa
Nights camping
2011-102; '12-111; '13-89; '14-108; '15-142; '16-92; '17-163; '18-81
snoking

Post by snoking »

Dropped the truck off late this afternoon. Mike has been talking to the Torque Converter guy. He acknowledges that the one installed has a stock 2200 stall RPM. That was NOT the plan going into this rebuild. Someone screw up somewhere!! At this point I am not to concerned who, as they are going to make it right. They are going to shoot for 1400-1600 with a new different Stator. I am going to call DTT tomorrow, but Mike believes the DTT unit was around 1200, and it would over power the brakes a bit in 4 low.

Truck will be ready Thursday or Friday!

We were down near the summer RV lot, so we stopped by and racked up the winter droppings and made a pile at the road for the parks maintenance crew to haul off.

Chris
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

After 4-5 months of problems, and no trust to travel its time to upgrade at any cost.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
snoking

Post by snoking »

Olbird wrote:After 4-5 months of problems, and no trust to travel its time to upgrade at any cost.
Nah! At 110K this one is just getting broken it. New tranny seems fine with the exception of the wrong stall speed with the new triple disc torque converter. Like I said, I do not know if the tranny guy or the TC guy screwed up! But, the tranny guy went for a short ride with trailer behind it and stepped right up to fix it.

After reading stories like this one http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... 623232.cfm the older trucks maybe will go up in value. I would love a new Dodge, but 52K for a leftover or 62K for a fresh one is just not in the cards for us. New one's sure are nice but they are tethered to the dealers service department and do not get as good of mileage as the early 07 and before. To buy an used 06 or 07 brings another 4 speed auto and one starts again to install an exhaust brake etc!

Chris
snoking

Post by snoking »

Just got home from the tranny shop with a new tighter stator installed in the TC. MUCH better! I think I will be happy now. I have to get a slide out problem with the trailer fixed before I can go tow it, but I think he got it right this time. Walked in and the counter gal said here are your keys, if you want to talk to Mike is out in the shop. Talked to him briefly about the new stall speed and drove it home. Cost? A couple quarts of my extra Amsoil ATF to top it off.

:d :ymhug: :d

Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

:thumbrt:

Rob
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

It is great when you get a company that stands behind their work!

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5