Landing Gear Blocking

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Landing Gear Blocking

Post by Traveler II »

What do you use for blocking under your landing gear? And do you really need it? Also what do you carry with you to level your rig side to side?

I just talked to my dealer and he tells me our new Cardinal will be in on September 21th. Can't wait.

Thanks
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We bought two boxes of theseleveler blocks from CW and we use those. If in a really unlevel area will use several under landing gear to keep from having to extend them all the way out.

So far...knock on wood...we have not had to use more than the two packs we have.
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

We also have two boxes of the plastic levelors but rarely use them. We've found that boards work better. They are easy to pull on to and they are wide enough to accomadate the entire width of the tire with no overhang. We've had the plastic levelor break when using them on a gravel site. Make sure the entire tire is on the board or whatever you are using and that you are lifting both tires the same height. Many folks just lift one tire to get level but this is not recommended.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Traveler II,
We use Lynx Levelers. The instructions that came with them say to use 2 of them under each leg of the landing gear. I do use 2 of them when I'm on grass or if the ground seems soft. When we're on black top or another hard surface I don't use any.
We really like them and have never needed more than 2 packages (20) for leveling. They are light and come in a carrying case.
We got them at Wal-mart for $19.95 a box.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Jan

wood v plastic

Post by Jan »

If you spend any time in the rain, you will appreciate not putting soaking wet wood in your bird. The creepy crawly thingies fall off the plastic much easier too!

Have fun!
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Post by Don Wilson »

I use the plastic levelers but I also carry 2x6's four feet long to put under the landing gears when camping in unimproved campgrounds in soft dirt and wet weather.

I have had the trailers landing gears and plastic levelers sink into the soft dirt and or mud when it rained pretty hard before using the 2x6's. The 2x6's spread the weight out over a larger area and keep it from sinking!

If the boards are wet I put them in the back of the pickup until it dries up.

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
Tim

Post by Tim »

I use 2x8 pieces of wood that I have cut the ends at an angle on so that it is easier to roll each tire up on to. Used to use one long length of wood to accomodate both tires on a side, but you have to pull the rig a lot further to level that way. I also carry a shovel and if on a gravel lot, sometimes dig/scoop out a small depression on the appropriate side of the rig in front of each tire, pull the rig up, and level in that manner.
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

I use 2 x 8 pieces of wood, and 1 x 8's also. I also have thinner 1 x 8's for final jack leveling. I drop the jacks down, look side to side to see if they are nearly level, then put the proper thickness board to make the jacks hit the boards at about the same time. It made a difference to how well the shower door shuts, etc.

For the wheels, I use 2 x 8's at least. I've found 2 x 6's are not wide enough and occasionally part of the tire doesn't get on the wood. Other folks from this chat line have cautioned me not to have part of the tread missing the board.

I keep all the boards in the back of the truck for drying, etc. Although the thinner boards sometimes fly around, so I'll put them in the 5er.
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Rob & Cathy

Re: Landing Gear Blocking

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Traveler II wrote:What do you use for blocking under your landing gear? Thanks
I made some blocks out of some scrap 2x6s an added rope handles:
When not in use I toss them in the truck on the left and right side of the hitch.

Rob
Jan

Post by Jan »

Rob,

Those look great. I know my limitations and measuring and cutting things square (or even close) is not my forte.

It was easier for me to purchase the plastic squares. I do carry some pieces of wood for those reasons cited previously. I just don't like squirmy crawly things.

:oops:
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Nice blocks Rob :D If you look at his pic you will also notice that the extensions are kept as short as possible. You do not want to just pull the lever and let the extension's fall where they may. You get in a high wind area and you will snap them off right where they meet the main landing gear. Seen it many times at the coast here in Oregon.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

One other thought on the plastic squares they can explode when they get older. I remember one day Susanna and I were picking up pieces of those blocks three campsites over. :oops:
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

One thing else I do is use a very small screwdriver and gently push it into the switch on either retract or extend and let it run. Of course, I have to be careful NOT to forget it! But, it allows me to do lots of other hitching/un items while waiting!
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Don Wilson
Region Leader Admin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 3350

Blocks

Post by Don Wilson »

I really like the blocks Rob but I do have some advice!!

Notice the layers of wood in Robs picture. Each layer of the wood runs a different direction! I made a set out of two by eight's with the grain running the same way and they split right down the middle from the weight of the trailer on them after about 6 uses.

So, If you want to make a strong set like Rob has it makes them much stronger if you turn the grain in the wood from layer to layer :D . Don't make a weak set like I did :oops:

Don
We don't know a stranger only friends we haven't met yet!

Don
2019 Cardinal 3350RLX Luxury Edition
2014 Dodge 3500 2WD DRW Long Bed

2023 Nights Camped 33
2022 Nights Camped 24
2021 Nights Camped 46

Rallies Attended - 50
Frog - 5
gmarker
Cardinal Owners: 2005 29WBLE

Post by gmarker »

One other word of caution. I was using pieces of 2x8's under my landing legs. rear stabilizers. and to level side to side under the tires. When traveling I would lay them in the bed of my truck. Last month I discovered two of them were missing and thought I had neglected to pick them up the last time they were used. On my last trip I was traveling about 60mph on the highway when I saw one of them in my mirror flying up out of the bed and over the 5'r. It landed in the lane next to me. Thankfully, it did not hit another vehicle. While the updraft in my truck bed may be unique to the particular physical characteristics of my rig, I would certainly caution everyone to be sure that everything in the bed is secured.
GERRY & KAY
2005 29WBLE
20011 FORD F250 LARIOT 6.7 POWERSTROKE
MAX the WONDERCAT