Queen bed w/nightstand vs. king

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Queen bed w/nightstand vs. king

Post by bayoubengal »

All the models on the dealers lot have King beds. I was wondering how the queen with nightstands fit in place of the King. I am looking at a 31rkle and to make a king size bed, the slide makes you stand at an awkward position. Since the queen is a real queen I was thinking of changing to this and would have an easier time making the bed. I hate when the mattress is so tight to the side you can't get your hand in, much less a nice comforter.

Husband would prefer king for size, but he doesn't make it. Plus, we have lived with a queen all this time and no issues.

Any thoughts, a picture would be great.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

How does your husband get away with that! I have to talk to him. :D
We wish we would have ordered without a bed and put our own in. Get a much better bed that way. I believe the wood platform is actually built to a queen size more so than king, but i like the king for width.
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

We have the King and love it...but I have thought a few times about how a queen and nightstand might fit. I doubt there is enough room for an average size night stand. I just fold back the top of the bedspread and then fold up again and then stack the pillows. I took the set that was on the bed and put them away...rediculus to put a "dry clean only" set in a camper bedroom. Besides that sucker was heavy on you while sleeping! I bought a nice brown matelasse spread and shams ...works for me, and a decent match to the brown in the curtains, and it's washable! We also bought a mattress topper from Dillards and it actually makes the bed very comfortable.
Tim

Post by Tim »

We bought ours because of the king bed. That was our prerequisite. I'm tall and needed the length, plus when the cat and dog get up there, it is even a little crowded on a king. Now I just want a third slide when I grow up and win the lottery.
cherry capital cardinals
Cardinal Owners: 07 34 TS

Post by cherry capital cardinals »

The queen with the night stand does make making the bed easier. Saying that, it is not the easy thing to do in the slide. Also the night stand does provide extra space for storage - we are full timers and need as much storage as possible. My wife and I both recommend the queen bed and we are big people.
CCC
bayoubengal
Cardinal Owners: 2008 31RKLE

Post by bayoubengal »

Thanks for all the input. Did they give you a discount for not getting mattress? Did you still get the bedding? I plan on using something different also. That light color is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm pretty sure I will go with queen, since it is true to size. I can get a pillow top off QVC for less than $100. Plus I aleady have all the sheets. Or maybe I'll buy a new guest bedroom mattress and put the good one in camper. I have guests so seldom.
Vince & Kim
2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ, SRW, D/A, Extended Cab, LB
2008 31RKLE
Nights Camped:
'02--74 '06--122 '10--24
'03--59 '07--47 '11--44
'04--83 '08--98 '12--76
'05--99 '09--84
david_iona

Post by david_iona »

Our 29 RK had the king bed and this past week I rebuilt the platform for a queen, replaced the original plywood base with 3/4 plywood and
purchased a good queen mattress and moved the headboard to center. We did not like the tight space between the bed and the closet doors and do not use a king at home anyway. Now I am looking for the night stands to fit a 10" space on each side of the bed. Might try FR and see if they will sell/ship nightstands.
Double D's
Cardinal Owners: 2013 3675 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Post by Double D's »

Bayoubengal, we have the queen bed and a nightstand/cabinet. I did not want king for the same reason as some others here - not enough room between bed and closet. The mattress is bling that comes with it, so we immediately took it out, wrapped in it's shipping plastic and donated it to the thrift store. We went to Sam's club and bit the bullet and bought a nice pillowtop mattress and, 800 Thread count sheets, with deep pockets to make bedmaking easier. We asked our dealer to order the cabinet to my specifications and it is very nice for storage. We had it installed on the 'shower side' of the bed. Has the same laminate on it as the other counters in our rig. We also had the headboard centered on the space above bed frame, not on the center of the wall. Very glad we made that choice. Have your dealer call Forest River and make you one. If you would like to see a picture of ours, pm me and I will email you one.
Hope it works out for you, whatever you decide! Donna
http://www.ddbalfanz.blogspot.com/

Double D's - Dennis and Donna

2013 Cardinal 3675- The "Double D Retreat"
Trail Air Pin Box and Suspension
2007 Chevy Dually 3500, Duramax
Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Days out in 2013 - 187 Alaska
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Donna, I too would like to see what you did with the bedroom. Could you possibly post the pictures on this thread?

Rob
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Rob, I will try to do that later today. - I am not certain I know HOW, but if I go back to my notes that Bruce dictated to me, I THINK I can do it!! Of not, then I will post the link to my photobucket site, where I have pictures of things we have done in our 'Resort on wheels'! LOL!
I am off to breakfast with a bunch of friends this morning! Later! Donna

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

For Rob and Bayoubengal: here is the picture of our nightstand, if I can post it correctly!

Ok, gonna try this again: Here is photobucket of that pic only.

Well, looks like the link might have worked
Last edited by Double D's on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

Ok, I see the link works for the bedside table, and just use the arrow just above the upper left side of the pic to see the other pix of what we have done in our bird. Sorry Bruce! I am an 'F' student!!!!!!!!!
Maybe if I had put a space between the paragraph and the link, it might have worked...........

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Thanks Donna, the link worked very well. That's a nice job they did with the night stand.

Rob
Double D's

Post by Double D's »

I was VERY pleased! I kinda wish I had had them make a small drawer, aove the door, but it will be just fine. They didn't put a shelf inside that big opening, so we put one in. (honey cut, I put!) The cabinet is 12" wide, and the overhang on the top is 13". Quite a bit of storage!
Glad the link worked for you.. I just can't seem to be able to post a pic directly on the site, like some of you all do! LOSER!

Rallies - 20
Days out in 2015- 145
Days out in 2014 - 71
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Post by Traveler II »

We have a new rig on order and wanted the queen size bed. We also wanted to use our own mattress and ask if we could order one without the mattress. We are unable to do that. We will just replace it when it comes it.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165