Lowering Pinbox?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Lowering Pinbox?

Post by Samsbird »

I want to increase the distance between bed rails and overhang and the factory Ford hitch doesn't allow for adjustment. Here is my question, I currently have (5) bolts on each side of the pinbox that attaches it to the fifth wheel bracket, I would like to lower the pinbox (1) hole but, in doing so I will wind up with (4) bolts on each side, is 4 enough or should I not go this route.

Thanks,
Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Rob & Cathy

Re: Lowering Pinbox?

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Hi Randall, I've always had 4 bolts on each side of the pin box so it shouldn't be a problem.

Rob
Samsbird

Post by Samsbird »

Rob, thanks for the reply I appreciate your help. I believe that the 4 bolts should be fine, I am going to put B7 grade back in when I lower it, the originals are grade 5 bolts.

Randall
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
1970 (Boss 302)
Samsbird

Post by Samsbird »

HOLD THE PHONE..........man do I feel stupid! I stated that the Ford factory hitch doesn't allow for any adjustment, boy was I wrong, I decided to look up under the king pin plate today and low and behold it can be adjusted. I was able to raise the hitch and inch and a quarter (problem solved). :oops:
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
1970 (Boss 302)
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Nice and probably much easier than messing with the pinbox :thumbrt:
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Samsbird wrote:HOLD THE PHONE..........man do I feel stupid! I stated that the Ford factory hitch doesn't allow for any adjustment, boy was I wrong, I decided to look up under the king pin plate today and low and behold it can be adjusted. I was able to raise the hitch and inch and a quarter (problem solved). :oops:
:thumbrt:

Rob