towing with a 2500HD

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mac's bird
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal fifth wheel 3850RL

Re: towing with a 2500HD

Post by mac's bird »

jtaylor1920 wrote:That is one nice looking truck. I keep trying to talk Laurie into letting upgrade to a dually but all I get is a big NO.

Oh, we'll some day I'll get there :d.
I guess it worked. thank's for the help. I didn't want to up grade either, because I really liked my 2500. I hope this one is just as good, but the weight issue was just to much.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

You'll be much happier with the 3500 DRW. Much more payload and the safer towing experience will definitely be worth it.
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

jtaylor1920 wrote:You'll be much happier with the 3500 DRW. Much more payload and the safer towing experience will definitely be worth it.

This is my bird with my 2500.
jtaylor1920

Post by jtaylor1920 »

That is a nice looking Bird.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Very nice looking truck, you made a good decision to go with a DRW, the 3850RL is heavy and wants to push and pull the TV when loaded for a long trip on bad highways most all states have.
Air Ride hitch or pin box works well on these heavy units.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

Olbird wrote:Very nice looking truck, you made a good decision to go with a DRW, the 3850RL is heavy and wants to push and pull the TV when loaded for a long trip on bad highways most all states have.
Air Ride hitch or pin box works well on these heavy units.
that is what I am hoping for. Got a 1300 mile trip planed in Nov. I haven't had a chance to pull my trailer yet. But the gas mileage on this DRW compared to my 2500 really sucks.
mbrolin
Cardinal Owners: 2019 Cardinal 3456 RLX

Post by mbrolin »

jtaylor I feel you pain. Sandy says no as well. :(( I tried using the heated/cooled seats, its quieter than our present truck, "look an automatic so that you can drive" etc. I guess after 41 years of marriage Ive gotten rusty with my salesmanship skills. =))
Mike & Sandy
2019 Cardinal 3456 Luxury Edition
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab Aisin 6spd Dually
sew2bhappy
Cardinal Owners: 2013 Cardinal 3030 5th wheel
Location: Oklahoma Oklahoma City (base) and wherever the weather is better

Post by sew2bhappy »

mbrolin wrote:jtaylor I feel you pain. Sandy says no as well. :(( I tried using the heated/cooled seats, its quieter than our present truck, "look an automatic so that you can drive" etc. I guess after 41 years of marriage Ive gotten rusty with my salesmanship skills. =))
Have you tried using the "it will be safer for towing and your life is precious to me" approach? Works for me :d
Millie Plato (married to Rplato)
2013 Cardinal 3030RS
1998 Volvo VNL610
2009 SmartCar-Bitsy
Nights out in
2018 - 93
...2015/16/17 - full time
...2011/14 - 719
National Rallies - 6
Regional Rallies - 10
FROG - 4
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

mbrolin wrote:jtaylor I feel you pain. Sandy says no as well. :(( I tried using the heated/cooled seats, its quieter than our present truck, "look an automatic so that you can drive" etc. I guess after 41 years of marriage Ive gotten rusty with my salesmanship skills. =))
I though I was going to have problem. After we when across some rough roads she started to change her mind. Since we just forked out some big bucks, I look around and found a dually the same year as our's, so it didn't cost that much to up grade the safety factor made the difference.
mac's bird

Post by mac's bird »

mac's bird wrote:
I though I was going to have problem. After we when across some rough roads she started to change her mind. Since we just forked out some big bucks, I look around and found a dually the same year as our's, so it didn't cost that much to up grade the safety factor made the difference.
Now I am even happier. Image