Sell it or Move it to a Permanent Site?

Ask the experts about tricks of the trade. Find out what it is like to be a full timer. What should you bring along and what should you leave home.

Moderator: Mike Clay

DrLewie
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 30WB LE

Sell it or Move it to a Permanent Site?

Post by DrLewie »

Here's my dilemma: I'm concerned that my 5er is becoming too frail to keep on the road much longer. Many, many repairs, including non-accident-related bodywork. The roads around the country are so bad that every time we return home more parts of the trailer are damaged. Some of it is structural, I'm afraid due to poor construction. I've had several body shops that specialize in RV repairs attempt to fix the rear wall which has loosened from the floor and side walls. After our last trip in March and April, thinking the $4000 spent on the latest repair would solve that problem, my wife noticed a lot of flexing in the rear wall, and I noticed the corner trim on the driver's side is once again pulling away from the side wall. Most of the issues are related to travel, so we're considering two options: 1) Sell it to someone more mechanically skilled than I, or 2) move it to a permanent site in a campground, and use it as a seasonal vacation home. It still seems to be watertight and all systems still work. We've enjoyed many RV trips since retiring in 2009, and have visited all 48 contiguous states. We enjoy RVing and travel, but the cost of constant repairs, and time in the shop, have taken their toll. We're thinking that we can still enjoy the social aspects of RVing but not have to worry about blowing another tire, losing another fender, or having to deal with gaps between wall panels.

I'd like to get experience-based opinions from readers of this forum about renting vs. buying a permanent RV site. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Also about the very idea of parking the rig permanently and using it as a vacation home. We live in the northeast, and are thinking of finding a site in the south--possibly Florida.

Thanks,
Lew Pinsker
Flemington, NJ
07 Cardinal 30WB LE
08 Ford F250 Super Duty Supercab 6.4 Diesel (SRW)