Front Hydraulic Jacks too low?

Discuss with others about towing. What is the best tow vehicle, hitches, brake controllers, etc, keeping in mind that everybody has his/her favorite.

Moderator: Mike Clay

LeeG
Cardinal Owners: 3456

Front Hydraulic Jacks too low?

Post by LeeG »

We just purchased a 2018 Cardinal 3456. When hooking up to tow it home, we noticed the front jacks had only 6 to 8 inches clearance to the ground. We realize we will have to lower the pin box and purchase a hitch that can be raised as high as possible. Tow vehicle is a awesome old 2002 F350 DRW Chipped Turbo Diesel. It has been towing a heavy Holiday Presidential for over 10 years and no problems. We are unsure about what is the best way to get the truck and fifth wheel level. How much can the Mor Ryde pin box be safely moved and can the Lippert jacks be shortened to their first hole? If anyone has any recommendations, we would appreciate any tips. Thanks!
jtaylor1920

Re: Front Hydraulic Jacks too low?

Post by jtaylor1920 »

Welcome to the best RV Club around. When I had some questions about moving my hitch I ended up calling Lipper directly for advice. Here is their customer service number - +1-574-537-8900.

Let us know what they say.
LeeG

Post by LeeG »

Thank You! I will give them a call. We can't wait to get our new Bird home!

Lee
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

You have two starting points, one is trailer should be level with while allowing for minimum clearance between top of truck bed rails and bottom of 5th wheel, if the clearance is not correct at that point trailer will never be level while towing during.

Basically what I am saying is you can lower or raise pin box, or lower or raise bed hitch any way you want but if the Bed Rail to bottom of 5th wheel is below minimum clearance The truck needs lowering or the 5th wheel need raising.

You should always have the same amount of bolts in pin box as send by factory when moving pin box in other holes
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
LeeG

Post by LeeG »

Well, we ended up getting a 2017 F350 to pull the new rig with! To try to make the 2002 F350 work we got a hitch that allowed for higher settings and lowered the pin box on the rig. We just never felt comfortable pulling a rig so heavy with the old 2002. It pulled it fine but STOPPING concerned us. We were way over legal weight for the truck.

We had to lower the hitch to minimum height setting and move pin box back to factory setting with the new 4x4 truck. It is pulling just great and we feel safer stopping with this truck.