underbelly sheetmetal coming off

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
jerry
Cardinal Owners: 06 30' WBLE

underbelly sheetmetal coming off

Post by jerry »

Just got back from short weekend trip and while returning home our friends behind us noticed some insulation fall from underneath my bird. I stopped and found one strip of sheetmetal peeling back allowing the insulation to blow out. I noticed several screws either gone or coming out.
Does anyone know of a good way to put in new sheetmetal screws and make them stay. Not long ago I got under the bird and tightened up every screw that appeared to be coming loose. Most of these screws do not screw into anything solid, just the other piece of sheetmetal.

Thanks, Jerry

2006 Cardinal 30WBLE
2003 Ford PS
Future Fulltimers
Cardinal Owners: 2006 30TS

Post by Future Fulltimers »

Try putting some calking around each hole and on the screw threads before reinstalling the screw. This should keep the screw from vibrating loose. I would use silicone since it will stick to just about anything.
Wayne & Peggy Williamson
Rocky
GoodSam Lifetime Members
2006 30TS
2007 Silverado 3500 Classic 6.6L D'Max
AirSafe 25k hitch
Tim

Post by Tim »

Also recommend you go up one sheet metal screw size when you make the repairs.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Jerry,
They make screws with serrated heads that grip into the sheet metal like a locking star washer does but its made onto the screw.
I used the serrated screws on all the frame backed areas, and used hollow back folding pop rivets made from Aluminum for all areas that are sheet metal to sheet metal attachment. If I have to remove a panel I will just drill them out.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Shields
Cardinal Owners: 31 RK LE

Post by Shields »

I rescrewed mine down last year, after one trip half of them were missing. And I went up one size in screws. However, all that did was make a larger hole and many are missing again. I am going to the pop rivet route also, but I sure wonder how many flat tires were behind me. :(
Al and Nadine
Cardinal 31RK, 2006
2009 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually.
Dorr, Michigan
markj
Cardinal Owners: Cardinal 31RKLE

Post by markj »

A couple months ago I noticed the same thing under mine--several screws loose or gone. I got some silicone especially for aluminum and pumped a good amount of it in each hole and rescrewed the screws back in. I bought several of the same size--they worked ok, one size up probably would have been better, but either way the silicone has held them fine!
2007 Cardinal 31RKLE
Hijacker 21K underfloor mount
Fifth Airborne pin box
2006 Ford F350 PSD extended cab
1990 Seaswirl fishing boat!
Kiki (the cat)
Wadcutter
Cardinal Owners: fifth wheel

Post by Wadcutter »

I had the same problem after I hit a racoon that ran out in front of us. You could see where he bounced up against the sheet just behind the axle. I did a sure fix. Took a 1"X3" and cut it to fit between the frame rails inside the belly. Then calked it good using silicone caulk where the sheets overlap. Used 1-1/2" X 1/4" galvanized lag bolts every 8" so they went thru both sheets of metal and into the 1"X3".
Don't forget to replace your insulation before screwing the sheets back together.
tug911

Sheet metal screws coming off

Post by tug911 »

I found several of mine loose and I just used some over sized rivets to hold them in place. If you need to access that spot then just drill out the rivet.
Bob and Renate
Cardinal Owners: 2012 Cardinal fifth wheel, Model: 3550RL

Post by Bob and Renate »

I almost lost a panel on my 2004 29WBLE. I drilled new holes and refastened the panels with a # 10 sheet metal Phillips screw. The way it should be done is drill the outer hole larger, (clearance for the screw body) and size the hole you fasten the screw to the same size as the screw core. Almost all sheet metal fabrication is done the way our panels are installed. Either by using a “drill screw” or using the same size bit for both holes. It is cheep and economic, but the mechanical strength is compromised. By tightening the screw this way the thin sheet metal is easily stripped, without noticing it.
It really works better the old fashion way.

Cheers

Bob
Bob and Renate
2012 Cardinal 3550RL, LX & Red Bird Pkg. and more
2019 F350 6.7 Diesel Lariat, FX4 off road, long box,