Short Box or Long Box

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

mopar25
Cardinal Owners: 2007 31LE RKS Fifth Wheel

Short Box or Long Box

Post by mopar25 »

I currently have a 2008 Ram 4x4 Quad Cab with Long Box which pulls a 31' RKS Cardinal for the past 4 years. I'm getting frustrated with a number older RV resorts that have long enough sites however the roads are narrow and with vehicles parked all over, its difficult to back our unit into the site. One park even allowed me to have a nearby RV repair shop use their forklift to back our unit in as there was a park model with carport support on one side and a fruit tree on the other. Without that fork lift parking our unit, I would have been hooped. A lot of the newer parks have drive thru options but not all.

I began to think -- would a newer short box Ram help me better? From some brochure I looked at it appears that the over all length of our 08 Ram quad cab long box is 249 +inches and a a 2015 extended cab is 248 inches. If these numbers are correct it doesn't seem a newer short box club cab is worth the expense for apporx 1" difference. The larger/longer back seat area is probably responsible for the longer length of the short box version. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4, 2007 31RKS
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Re: Short Box or Long Box

Post by dfredendall »

Short bed = Small fuel tank
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
EAW
Cardinal Owners: 2005 Cardinal 31RKT
Skype ID: eaward49

Post by EAW »

I like the long box myself. Finding another campground may be the best solution. Turning the trailer that sharp with the forklift puts an incredible amount of stress on the axles and frame.
Earnie, Penny, and Roxie
2005 Cardinal 31 RKT with many mods.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Denali 4WD LB SWR w/DuraMax, 10spd Allison

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mark Twain
nra4life
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 30TS
Skype ID: 30TS & Dodge

Post by nra4life »

Mopar, We use a short bed pickup. Our trailer won't clear the cab in a sharp turn. We have an automatic sliding hitch, that I like very well. When I sign off, you will see just what we run. Dana is correct. Our tank is 35 gallons. If we want to go places without the trailer, it is convenient to drive around town and park almost anywhere. I would suggest getting the 6 1/2' bed so there is room for a fuel tank. The Megacab has a little bed that looks almost useless. You will be amazed at how many knowledgeable people will have insights that will be valuable. Good luck! Roy
Roy & Kay Studer
2006 30TS Blue inside, 7K axles, disc brakes, MORryde pin box, Lippert Equa-Flex
2021 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel w/ Superglide, transfer flow 30 gal. tank/toolbox
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

Mopar,
I really like having a short bed truck as 90% of my truck driving is without the 5th wheel connected. My 2012 Ford F350 only had a 26 gallon fuel tank...totally unsat for a tow vehicle, so I exchanged the OEM fuel tank with a Titan midship tank that is 50 gallons and is under the bed vs being in the bed. I really like the new tank and would recommend it. Price installed was about $1200 in 2013.
To get around the turning issue with a short bed I installed a Pullrite Superglide and really like it as well. The nice thing about the Pullrite is the slide is automatic so I never worry about having to get out of the cab to manually shift the hitch to turn mode when approaching 37-40 degree turns. The only downside to the Pullrite is it's weight so pulling it out of the bed is not a one person job. I found this on Craigslist nearly new and paid $300.

Also, my 37ft rig's dry weight is 12k lbs and loaded weight (which I never get to) is 14.5K. I tend to pull the rig loaded to about 13.2K lbs. I have no stability issues with the F350 and a short bed....but if the rig were 40ft or heavier I would probably look hard at a dually.

Bottom line, because I use the truck for driving around town and hauling small items like trash or furniture, I have no regrets buying the short bed with the mods above.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
jacknife
Cardinal Owners: 2013Cardinal 3030
TV 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 HO 6.7 Cummins

Post by jacknife »

The Mega Cab comes with a 6.6 inch bed. No shorter or longer. I had a n 06 and now a 14 both equipped with 6.6 ft , it just looks shorter because of the cab length. you can put a 50 gal fuel tank in the bed behind cab. Have a manual slider but have never used it but it is there if need be.
nra4life
Cardinal Owners: 2006 Cardinal 30TS
Skype ID: 30TS & Dodge

Post by nra4life »

Nick, I guess the megacab just makes the bed look shorter. Somewhere I got the idea that the megacab has a 5'6" bed. I will remember the correct numbers! Roy
Roy & Kay Studer
2006 30TS Blue inside, 7K axles, disc brakes, MORryde pin box, Lippert Equa-Flex
2021 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4wd Diesel w/ Superglide, transfer flow 30 gal. tank/toolbox