GM/Dodge trucks

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

GM/Dodge trucks

Post by rpfan »

Hi all, I have given up on my F450! It has puked its last injector on me! I have made the choice to jump either fence to Dodge or GM. I would like to hear from all who are towing heavy with both. Our rig has a GVWR of 15500, so tow ratings have to be above that. I know Dodge has 17600 and GM has 16800, crewcab dually.
I'm interested in hearing pros and cons on both...thanks in advance

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Travelers

Re: GM/Dodge trucks

Post by Travelers »

Why not a GMC 3500? According to my trucks true weight, I can load up 4,200# on the pin and 18,500# rig GVWR. Unless you pull a lot of miles, the empty ride will kill you. But either choice will be better than the twin I beam suspension Ford has. Unless running across plowed fields is your thing. Then the Ford is the only truck that will hold up. :d
snoking

Post by snoking »

The new Dodge that is just being release is going to have tow numbers that beat 450/4500 class trucks. It also does not have the Bosch HPFP CP4.2 Injector pump that has had failures on both the Ford and GM trucks. Dodge is adding DEF to the pickups, so their fuel mileage should improve also with this newest offering. Will wroth a close look.

Ram Trucks

Chris
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

Well I will be glad when the SAE's J2807 towing standard is applied. Time to get a handle on some of these fake numbers. I owned 5 dodges and I have to admit the only reason was for the Cummins. The rest of the wrapper was pretty weak back when. Dodge has come a long way but I have to question their numbers. I never went back to Ford due to the problems I had with the two I had. I have had a couple problems with my truck over the almost 3 years I have owned it. DEF pump and water pump. New radiator thanks to the tech putting his wrench through it. :cry: It tows great and the ride is nice but I do have the SRW. I will be buying a new GM product in the next two years since I do not like being out of warranty. Ford is a very nice truck but sometimes we drink to much boonsford or boonschevy and do not want to go through it again for a while. So lets try to help Rich out on what he is asking for not a truck war.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
RetiredFifthWheeler
Cardinal Owners: 3825FL Fifth-Wheel

Post by RetiredFifthWheeler »

We have the 2011 Dodge 3500 Ram with a full bed, full four-door cab and duallys. We have driven it about 36,000 miles in two years (this month). We have had no major problems. Others here can speak to all the technical aspects involved. (I suspect that we have pulled our bird at least a third of those miles in this time.)

The mileage isn't as good, but I have no DEF either. I got about 10 on our recent trip to Florida pulling there and back (more going downhill to Florida, less coming back uphill to the mountains lol. I got 15-16 running around Florida unhitched.
Wayne & Ruth Spong

2016 3825fl
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 / Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good Sam Life Members
Rallies attended - 3 (+ 4 FROG)
dfredendall
Council, Moderator
Cardinal Owners: 2018 Cardinal 3350RLX- Luxury Edition

Post by dfredendall »

I am hearing good reviews on Ford's new 6.7 diesel engine. Quiet for sure, with lots of oomph! It is not out long enough to know about fuel pump/injector issues. I have had no injector or pump issues on my '08 6.4, but leaks have been problematic. Now since it hit 100,000 miles the bed plate seal (similar to rear main seal) is leaking for the second time. That engine block design from Ford/Navstar (International) is a bit disturbing. For my first Diesel I am still pleased. Dealers keep trying to get me into the new Ford 6.7. I just don't like the price of any of the new trucks. OUCH! $$$$$. At 100,000 miles I figure I am at the half life. I will say I like how the rest of the truck is holding up very well.
Dana & Cindy Fredendall
Highland, California
2018 3350RLX- Luxury Edition
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
There are great experiences and new friends everywhere we go!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin
Cardinal Owners: 3850 RL

Post by Olbird »

Like Mike said no truck wars here, I have the 2011 GMC 3500 Dually and it tows and has more power then any other truck I have owned,
Even my Medium Duty truck that was rated at 31,000 lbs was like a turtle, it would pull anything and get you there but at 35 miles per hour and your foot on the floor while pulling long high grades was not fun.

The new Ford trucks seem to be pulling hard also, but while traveling I don't find them flying by me on the hard pulls with a rig the size of mine.
The new Dodges have come a long way in the last couple years, they will have to deal with DFE also.
Listed tow ratings are great but the true test is on the road and it still seems that many challenge test shows GM out pulls the competition, now with that said most do not need the extra power and will not see the difference with a trailer under 35 feet long.

A good test for yourself is traveling with others, while we all have different models, years and trailer sizes it is very easy to see if your truck is performing as well or not as well as others.

Rich, with the size of your Trailer over 40 feet and very heavy I would go with a 3500 GM because you will notice the edge of power like I did, not that one truck is better than the other just what I have experienced with a large trailer.

George:
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
rpfan
Region Leader
Cardinal Owners: 2009 3802BH (due in Nov13th!!) Have been enjoying ever since!!!

Post by rpfan »

Thanks guys!! I don't want truck war either. Just facts. At this point with 190000 on my 6.0 and recent investments (large at that) I'm tired of telling myself that this will be the last for a while. While I want to upgrade I'm not going to buy new (ouch!) has to be used. 2008 and up. The GMC did catch my eye but, no salesman has a clue on how to find the gear ratio. If any of you know how to decde the vin, that would help. I like the Dodge as well the Cumins is a proven power plant, and I like the creature comforts. As for fuel mileage...in this "sport" its hard to be too concernd about the mileage. My 450 has a 4:88 gear and gets 10 towing and 13.5 empty, rides like a buckboard empty too. I used a friends 09 450 last year with the 6.4 and althogh the truck was nice, fuel mileage was about 7!! Any other comments are welcome!!!

Rich
Rich, Fern, Bethany & Justin
2005 F 450, CC, Duallie, 4wd, 25K Air Safe hitch, 100 Gal.aux. fuel tank.
2009 3802 BH LX Edition, 5 slide
Leave no roller coaster unridden!
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Rich,
Much of my research on the 2008 and newer GM Diesel trucks found they do not put lower gear rear ends like Ford, they depend on the Allison transmission to do much of the work while keeping the rear end around 3.72 ratio.
My new 2007 GMC Topkick did come with a 4.88 ratio, RPM's was always over 2,100 at 55 mph, Mikes 2008 GM still left me in his dust.

I do not know if they still put lower gears in the new Fords now that they have a transmission that operates very much like the Allison.
George & Julie
3850 RL Full Paint w/ TrailAir Spring Ride System, Kodiak Disc Brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Over 130 Mods

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

Ford uses SFA.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Travelers

Post by Travelers »

Samsbird wrote:Ford uses SFA.
?????????????????
Need a little help on this.
Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

I guess I will ask what is SFA
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Mike Clay
Council, Administrator

Post by Mike Clay »

Samsbird wrote:Ford uses SFA.
Of coarse they do. Toyota came out the loser on this they had to drop there trailer weight rating. Guess you cant take the space shuttle camping.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
Rallies attended - 32

Olbird
Council, Asst. Admin

Post by Olbird »

Mike,

Is he talking about ( SAE ) Society of Automotive Engineers ... Standard J2807
George & Julie

2022 Ford F450 DRW