What Options Should We Get?

These are discussions that contain lots of good info, so did not want to eliminate it. It has closed so we can take advantage of making the forum easier to find what you are looking for.
Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

What Options Should We Get?

Post by Traveler II »

The research is done and it’s decision time. We have decided that a Cardinal model 30 ST will best meet our needs. The Cardinal comes standard with a lot of what is needed, that we found were extras with other companies. The only draw back is we are unable to reach the refrigerator when the slides are in. We will just put a cooler in the pick up. We looked at a lot of different pick ups and we like the 2007-2 Chevy ¾ ton short box with air support.

In the past we have bought both new and used motor homes and there is always something we wish we had ordered or not ordered. Last time I insisted that we have a washer/dryer. In the MH they can only do a small load so you are always washing. We wish we had had the space.

My question is; if you were ordering a new 5th wheel what would you want included above the standard package, or maybe what you could lived without? I know that many things can be added later. We plan to order both the 5th wheel and the pick-up next week.

Thanks for your opinions.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Not quite sure what the 30 ST is...the triple slide?? I'm guessing.... :)

Anyway...am glad you are choosing the BIRD!!! Congrats on your choice, and congrats to us on having you guys in OUR club!! :D

In our situation if we were doing it over...I'd definately go with a triple slide. Another must have would be the second AC...I know we can add it now, but it's a lot less expensive done when the unit is built. I really can't think of anything else I'd have different.
Luizianna

Post by Luizianna »

Definately the slide awnings!! When we pull the slides in, the tops of the slides themselves are still nice and clean after more than 2 years of camping. Now and then I will run a wet cloth over the top, more or less just to dust it off. If money isn't much of an issue....get the electric awning for the front....ask Bruce...campswithcritters how nice that is!! :lol:

The solar panels...not worth the money...but that is just my opinion...lol Our unit came with them and they've been more of a pain than they are worth. When ours was stored at a storage yard and not plugged into shore power....that propane alarm would start screeching when the battery got low....the solars kept just enuff power for it to keep on screeching.....yikes! After DH figured out what it was....(I think he called the dealer) He pulled the wire on the solar panel....what a relief!
campswithcritters
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2005 34RLT
Skype ID: campswithcritters

Post by campswithcritters »

Power awning is sweet! No pulling and no ladder required so the wife can operate it solo. I will never have a rig without it again. Recommend the acrylic fabric, a bit more expensive but never seems to get mold spots or stains. I've had for over a year with no problems.
Bruce & Sharon Full-time since Nov 06
Boogie, & Jack ("the critters")
bbgun

Post by bbgun »

Another vote for the second air conditioner..or at least have it prewired! We have the 30TS and can get to the fridge fine. We turned the table around during travel time. We have total access to kitchen. The electric awning sounds awesome, since we are always too afraid to touch ours! lol
rosey
Cardinal Owners: 07 Cardinal 34QS

Post by rosey »

Some of the upgrades that I got in my 34qs that you may consider.......... thermopayne insulated windows, power awning, hardwood floors in kitchen area, rear hitch receiver , power rear stablizing
jacks, front hydraulic landing gear, solid surface countertops, custom paint, generator, 2nd air conditioner (a must for me), trail aire pin, fireplace, washer/dryer, etc. DW and I enjoy all of these options and I don't regret getting any of them..........what the heck you only live once!
Last edited by rosey on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gayle & Mike Rosenblatt "Rosey"
Our Furry Camping Kids; "Ting-Tang,Saylor,& Kai"
07 Cardinal 34QS;4 Slides;Optional Paint;Bigfoot
07 Chevy Silverado LT3 3500 Duramax Dually Longbed CC;Allison;Titan 62 Gal(Super Ser.)fuel tank
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

Traveler II
I agree with the other folks about the 2nd air. At least have it wired for it, that way it's real easy to add the unit later. Something else I've thought about but am not sure if it's availible on the brand of air conditioners in the Cardinals is a heat strip. Some mornings it would be nice to take the chill off with a heat strip in the A.C. rather than running the furnace or hauling out an electric heater.
My other choices also would be double pain windows and slide awnings.
I am going to get an air ride pin box in the not to distant future.
Since you are getting a short box truck you will need a slider hitch of some sort. Our 30 TS is our first fifth wheel so we opted for the Pullrite Superglide automatic slide hitch. To me the piece of mind not having to worry about the trailer hitting the cab when backing or making a sharp turn is well worth the cost of the hitch. Maybe if buy it from your dealer he'd sell it to you at his cost. :wink:
Welcome to the world of the Red Birds!!
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
jennyt

Post by jennyt »

Welcome to the club! If we were to do it over we would probably go for the double pane windows o/a of the humidity & condensation down here in the sweltery south! :D I agree with others that wired for 2nd A/C is nice - you can add it later if you think you need it. And if I had extra $$$ to throw at it I would go with the automatic awning - we have the same layout as you and the awning is hard to put up and down without having something to stand on. We are also going to buy the Trailair pinbox for ours, so I guess I would have to add that to my list of "if I'd known then..."

Good luck with your purchase - let us know what you decide!
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks to all of you for the information. We plan to order our Cardinal next week. We have made some changes based on your input. Again thanks for the help.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Traveler II

We ordered a new Cardinal 34QS today so let me throw some $$ at you for planning purposes. Like rest of the posters you will find that you have to have owned one or two RVs to find out what is important. We ordered lots of extras but for us the Thermo-pane windows $1000 and the second air conditioner($495 plus mandatory wiring and frame $50) were mandatory. As a minimum have the wiring kit for the 2d AC installed. The prices shown are MSRP and should not cost you that much as part of the deal. I have a copy of a complete sales order with all the prices. If you have other questions about $$ just post. Good luck. Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks Donpop,

The price infomation would be helpful. For example I see the list price for the upgrade in insulated glass is $1,500, but you gave a price of $1,000 is there that much mark up?

Is there a % I can use off of list price to come up with a selling price that I should offer?

As I said we plan to place our order early next week with a dealer. I'm to call him on Monday with the options we want for the 30ST the list price is; $56,000.

Thanks
Jim & Jane
Squire

gone

Post by Squire »

gone
Last edited by Squire on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire

Post by Squire »

Just realize that when you order "solid edge counter top", that you are getting just the "edge" to replace the wood trim and not a "solid counter top".
Donpop
Cardinal Owners: 2008 Cardinal 34QS

Post by Donpop »

Traveler II

I don't know what the difference is between the $1500 you were quoted and the $1000 suggested retail from my dealer. The dealer, I assume, can use any price he wants to, and the higher he builds the price the better his deal looks on the final figure. The list I have is not secret. It is a faxed "Cardinal Fifth Wheel Sales Order" from Forrest River to the dealer with a revised date of 3/02/07 that lists all options and the ordering code number for the dealer. This is what my dealer used to arrive at a suggested retail of $57,865 for our new 34QS and all the options we ordered. As stated by many of the posters, the suggested retail means nothing and all that counts is the actual purchase price. Don
2008 Cardinal 34QS
Kodiak Disc Brakes
2012 Ford F350 SD XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW 6.7
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box Comb
Double tow 2 Yamaha Grizzly ATVs
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

Thanks again for all the help. Monday we are meeting with our dealer here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota area. But maybe I should check with your dealers if ours is a :idea: lot higher.

I would prefer to buy from the local dealer and also willing to pay a bit more, but not $1000's
Jim & Jane