Ford 350 Vibration On Takeoff with Trailer

Use this forum for technical questions regarding tow vehicles.

Moderators: Mike Clay, Olbird

Traveler II
exempt member
Cardinal Owners: 2008 30 TS
Skype ID: User name: janestonge46 (iChat only)
Skype name: jane-stonge

Ford 350 Vibration On Takeoff with Trailer

Post by Traveler II »

OK, maybe I should have stayed with Chevy. My dealer told me I needed to drive my new truck 1,000 miles before I towed with it. Yesterday I hit the mark and today I hooked up the trailer for a test drive. All was great, but I did feel a vibration on takeoff from a dead stop that I had not felt before.

I took it to my dealer and they said that they have run into this before and were familiar with the problem. Said the load changed the angle of the drive shaft and that the first step was to add slims. I said first step, it seem that slims do not always help, and in fact might make it worse, we’re hoping for the best. The truck dropped about 3" when hooked up and the trailer was level. The ride was great and I didn't think I would need to add air bags.

We’re heading out the first of October for 6-7 months on a trip that will take us from Minnesota to both coastlines with some exploring in-between, sure hope its right by then.
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights camped in 2012: 142
Nights camped in 2013: 186
Nights camped in 2014: 185
Nights camped in 2015: 232
Nights camped in 2016: 165
snoking

Re: Ford 350 Vibration On Takeoff with Trailer

Post by snoking »

Seems to be a problem with long wheel base trucks with two piece drive lines. They will need the truck and trailer to slim it correctly, and your help!!! Chris
Randyman

Post by Randyman »

Jim that's called axle wrap and it is a known issue with today's trucks having a little softer spring for a smoother ride. My 08 F250 did it and I took it in to the Ford dealership and they said they could adjust the pinion angle to help it for take off but I might experience it at a different speed when the truck was not towing. I opted to leave it alone and just take off as easy as I could. I was reading on some Ford forums and found Super Springs. They are an extra leaf spring and are a piece of cake to install. I bought them and installed them in a matter of a half hour and what a difference. Made my F250 like an F350. When I traded to my current 12 F350 I didn't need them as it was sprung heavy enough that it didn't squat the truck as much in order to change the pinion angle. I see you have a F350 already so you might be carrying a little more pin than I am or it has to do with the added length of your truck because mine is a short box. Unless you add something like the Super Springs I wouldn't change the pinion angle as you might find you have the vibration at a different speed or when you are not towing. I'm not a fan of the air springs so that is why I opted for the other. You can google Super Springs and see a video of how they work and what they do. Randy
Samsbird
Cardinal Owners: 35 sbqle fifth wheel
Skype ID: yes

Post by Samsbird »

The air bags will take care of the vibration on takeoff, did for me. Same rig as you have.
2009 35sbq fifth wheel
2012 F350 SRW King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
1969 (428 Super Cobra Jet Mach 1)
1970 (Boss 302)
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

All of my trucks (Dodge and Chevy) have had axle wrap with the exception of this new truck. I was really surprised when I took off for the first time and did not have any shudder after all these years.

Be careful with letting them add shims Jim. It will smooth it out while your trailer is hooked up but then you will have the shudder when empty. Yes air bags will help take away the shudder just like adding fresh water in my last trailer did to take some weight off the pin.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

The Ford dealer told me I might have a problem empty, I'm going to try it and see how it rides, if I don't like them they will remove them. He said air bags work 80% of the time and quoted me a price of $1,000 to put them on. :(( :((
Jim & Jane
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
snoking

Post by snoking »

A few years back, well maybe quite a few, the Dodge boys fashioned traction bars from the spring plate to the frame forward of the front spring hanger to stop axle wrap up. With the early GM Duramax's they replace the two piece drive line on some models with an aluminum one piece drive line. Buddies was a long box extended cab.

Attempts to provide smooth riding empty trucks cases many other problems. The problem would be a lot worst without the torque limiting they invoke at low speeds. Chris
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Post by bop11 »

I put air bags on my truck and really liked the ride. It took the axle wrap away and eliminated that extra bounce you get when going over a bridge approach at 60mph, but I also scraped my both sides of my bed rails before I noticed it :cry:

So needless to say I now run them at about 5# and will still scrub off a little more Rino lining every now and then. The camper runs down the rode level so I hate to mess with the hitch. I just take off easy and expect the shudder if I get on it a little hard from a dead stop.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
watkinsk
Cardinal Owners: 2010 Cardinal 3150RL

Post by watkinsk »

WoW, $1000 to put airbags on the truck???? I bought some Firestone Airbags. I gave about $325 on sale at AutoAnything.Com. I am not a mechanical wizard but got them installed myself, without a lift, in about 3.5 hours. No drilling is required but I did bust a knuckle breaking a bolt loose. The manual says 2 hours but I guess crawling around on the ground without a creeper was slower than projected!. I am a big fan of the airbags.

BTW, on my 2012 Ford F350 Shortbed i did not have the shudder you talk about.
r/ Keith & Sher
2021 Alliance 340RL
2010 Cardinal 3150RL
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 4x4, SRW, Std Bed
"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER QUIT"...Winston Churchill
teallen
Cardinal Owners: 2012 3030
Skype ID: thomas.allen511

Post by teallen »

Randyman wrote:Jim that's called axle wrap and it is a known issue with today's trucks having a little softer spring for a smoother ride. My 08 F250 did it and I took it in to the Ford dealership and they said they could adjust the pinion angle to help it for take off but I might experience it at a different speed when the truck was not towing. I opted to leave it alone and just take off as easy as I could. I was reading on some Ford forums and found Super Springs. They are an extra leaf spring and are a piece of cake to install. I bought them and installed them in a matter of a half hour and what a difference. Made my F250 like an F350. When I traded to my current 12 F350 I didn't need them as it was sprung heavy enough that it didn't squat the truck as much in order to change the pinion angle. I see you have a F350 already so you might be carrying a little more pin than I am or it has to do with the added length of your truck because mine is a short box. Unless you add something like the Super Springs I wouldn't change the pinion angle as you might find you have the vibration at a different speed or when you are not towing. I'm not a fan of the air springs so that is why I opted for the other. You can google Super Springs and see a video of how they work and what they do. Randy
I added the super springs to my truck when I bought my 3030, the new RV had a heavier pin weight then my old Cardinal. The addition of the super springs really helped :thumbrt:
Tom and Judy
2012 Cardinal 3030RS ("le Chateau")
2018 RAM 3500
9 grandkids (keeps us busy)
Rallys attended - 17
2019 Camping Days- 7
Camping Days - 2011 - 90, 2012 - 144, 2013 - 130, 2014 - 130, 2015 - 107
jacknife
Cardinal Owners: 2013Cardinal 3030
TV 2020 Ram 3500 4x4 HO 6.7 Cummins

Post by jacknife »

I have the same thimg pn my new Ram. My 06 had really bad axle wrap and my son fabricated a pair of traction bars for the rear axle. They worked great! You could hammer it from a dead stop and head into a turn an it would just go no slip, no wrap just power to the ground. I never had a vibration or shudder when pulling the trl from a dead stop. So l may ask hi :d m to make me another pair.
Traveler II
exempt member

Post by Traveler II »

I'm the OP and it's been a year since I posted this. We still have the vibration and to be honest I've got so use to it I forgot about it, but like I said its still there.
Jim & Jane
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Ditto Jim, I did install air bags this Summer and raised the truck about an inch higher and the vibration went away. Seems to be the drive shaft angle.

Rob
Mike Clay
Council, Administrator
Cardinal Owners: 2016 3850RL Estate
Skype ID: Mike-Clay

Post by Mike Clay »

My dually is the first truck I have owned that does not have axle wrap.
Mike, Susanna & Rudy
2016 3850RL Estate "Proto Grigio"
2019 Silverado 3500HD Dually D/A 4x4 LTZ
My dreams are too big for my wallet
Rallies attended - 32

Nights camping in 2013:159 2014:269 2015:Full Timers