Imperial Sand Dunes, Buttercup, CA

What's Your Favorite Campground? Need Information on Fuel Prices, Campground Ratings, Campgrounds available in the area you are traveling??? This is the place to look!!

Moderator: Olbird

Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Imperial Sand Dunes, Buttercup, CA

Post by Chief409 »

Terry and I just spent 6 days dry camping at the BLM campground at Buttercup, CA. around 15 miles west of Yuma, AZ. on I8. We were at a Large Scale RC Truck and Buggy Rally (HPIBajaForum Duneoctoberfest 2013) and had a blast. People from Canada, Australia, the East Coast, and plenty of folks from the South West. The BLM has vault toilets which are well built and clean, same as the Park Service, parking, well I'd recommend a 4X4 if you want to set up towards the end of the loop, because that's close to the dunes and soft, but towards the Ranger Station the ground is firmer. I used 4 Low in and out and didn't have a problem. You DO NOT want to spin the tires in loose sand!

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/Chief4 ... est%202013

The wind came up around 1 AM Monday morning and all the tracks in the sand were mostly gone by the time we left.

What is a Large Scale RC Truck or Buggy? Here are the two I have now, another is under construction.

Mine have 30.5cc engines putting out around 8 HP, and weigh somewhere around 30#
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
bop11
Cardinal Owners: 2010 3150 RL
Skype ID: bill.bopra

Re: Imperial Sand Dunes, Buttercup, CA

Post by bop11 »

Sounds like a lot of fun Chief! Those RC cars look like a blast to build and drive! Heck when I was a kid some of my go carts didn't have 8 HP.
Bill & Penny
2010 3150 RL "The Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2013/67 and have put put 8566 miles on the Bucket List Inn
Nights out in 2014 63
Night out in 2015. 88
Nights out so far in 2016. 58
More fun to come!
Chief409
Mojave Desert
Cardinal Owners: 2007 30WBLE

Post by Chief409 »

It's tons of fun! And like any other racing, it's back and forth about who has the best engine. And all the "Smack Down".

Lots cheaper then running a NHRA rig!
Jeff & Terry
U.S.N. Ret
2012 F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel Dually, Crew Cab, LWB, 50 gal Transfer Flow toolbox/tank
2007 Cardinal 30WBLE, "the 'Bird", ONAN gen.
The more I see in my travels, the more I realize there is so much more to see.
snoking

Post by snoking »

Looks like fun! I had a three wheel Honda back in the early 70's and played in the sand dunes in Eastern Washington and it was a blast! Chris
Rob & Cathy

Post by Rob & Cathy »

Chief409 wrote:

Mine have 30.5cc engines putting out around 8 HP, and weigh somewhere around 30#
Yikes! :shock:

Rob